Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hi From Minnesota

Hi, my wife and I are renovating our older farm house and after reading some of the posts, I thought Iíd join this forum because itís never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

The house is an older craftsman style from the late 30ís or early 40ís so up dating the electric, plumbing, insulation, windows and new siding is more like a major overhaul because we are doing our best to stay within the style of the house. It all started when my wife decided she wanted an older style 1923 style kitchen stove. Yep! You guessed it! The stove is close to 59 inches long and the kitchen is 10í x 12í so we had to bump out the rear wall by 10ft. The project started in 2008 with the electric and itís been ongoing ever since. I hope to get the kitchen closed in before long or she'll be heating the house with my hunting clothes.

John3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

Hi From Minnesota

Welcome aboard! I bought a 1914 craftsman style house back in January, we have big plans for it too. We live near Duluth...right across the bay actually.

I think you'll find the forum to be a great help. Tons of knowledgeable people here.

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

Hi From Minnesota

Thanks!! Duluth has some very interesting homes in the area. Once you open a few walls, one can really appreciate the construction of these older homes. (Hence the name Craftsman Style)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi From Minnesota

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
John3rd (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #5

Hi From Minnesota

Hi Dave,

I happen to find this site by looking at a few links for DIY spray foam systems. Iíd like to foam my rim joists on the new addition. Those links lead me to your DIY Home Project. My last big project was gutting out an old warehouse and converting it to 8 apartments and trying to do our house after work. By luck, I had a little set back when I got Lyme from a little Tick and didnít know it was Lyme for over three years. Kindía crazy because everyone said it was Old Age and or Exhaustion. Finally found a doctor who would listen to me, took the pills for a few weeks and now Iím back at it.

We added on 12í x 35í to the back of the house to extend the kitchen for the older 30ís style fridge and stove. Just about ready for my electrical inspection. I started to rewire this house little by little and room by room in 2008. Got the Lyme and everything sat until last March. Yep! I had to bring everything up to the newer codes and add in all the extra AFCI so that turned in to a fun project but itís just about over.

My next project will be to remove the plaster and lath on the other exterior walls and add 2Ē x 2Ē to the old studs so Iíll have 6 inch walls. In Minnesota 6 inch walls and insulation is your friend. I was reading where one guy staggered his 2x2ís from the old studs (like a sound proof wall) so the cold can not transfer through the studs to the new walls but thatís up for debate yet.

My biggest downfall right now is, Iím working on my own home. If this was someone elseís home, Iíd be done by now but doing your own home, a person tends to add those little extras and one thing leads to another.

I enjoyed the postings on your home project. Trust me; I know what itís like.