Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
homeowner learning quick

Share |

Hi from IL

I wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself.

I'm Jason and I got to this awesome forum through a link SucbaDave posted in another forum I frequent. What an awesome site and amazing info. The amount of knowledge to tap into is excellent (I know way more about concrete today than I ever thought I would). I have been lurking for a week or two but I can see I will be active here.

We bought a "New" older home and moved in last June. There have been a lot of projects to do and right now I am needing to deal with the insulation in our attic. The amount of info on insulation on here was an extreme help.

Up next is the pocked concrete floor in our garage

As for capabilties I posses - enough to do mot everything that will need to be done around the hosue but certainly not to the extent of a lot of the memebers on here. As an example I would nver try to deal with poured concrete or lay a foundation for anything - not eve for the shed I know I will need to put in next spring. I would also stop short of doing anything that would affect the structural integrity of our house like put in the attic access door w/ ladder that would like (unless someone can convince me differently on that one).

Looking forward to being an active member here
J

whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Hi from IL

Try the attic access door at least. Welcome to the forum

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
homeowner learning quick

Hi from IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Try the attic access door at least. Welcome to the forum
I guess nothing is out of the question It would certainly be less than the $1200-$1500 quotes I have been getting for the work. We shall see
Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Hi from IL

yes an attic door installation for a DIYer will cost $150 total.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #5

Hi from IL

and as far as the POCKED garage floor. there are a lot of options there too. check out www.garagejournal.com they have a section for garage floors and different epoxy coating to beutify even the ugliest of floors.

the site isnt as versatile as this site as all they talk about is garages mostly. Where this site you can find help on EVERYTHING!

Welcome to the site fellow Illinois resident
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
homeowner learning quick

Hi from IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
yes an attic door installation for a DIYer will cost $150 total.
I think I need to clarify - I mean an attic access pull down door with fold out ladder. I would like to not only have easier access to the attic but also use it for long term/additional storage. The door/ladder set ups I have found run anywhere from $350 to $800. I am assuming the door/ladder set up will run around $400 - $500 meaning the rest of the quotes I have been getting are for labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What have I done View Post
and as far as the POCKED garage floor. there are a lot of options there too. check out www.garagejournal.com they have a section for garage floors and different epoxy coating to beutify even the ugliest of floors.

the site isnt as versatile as this site as all they talk about is garages mostly. Where this site you can find help on EVERYTHING!

Welcome to the site fellow Illinois resident
Thanks for the link - I will check it out. Getting ready for winter is lots "o fun!!!!!!!