Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: What are folks doing about pre-1978, lead-based paint removal?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What are folks doing about pre-1978, lead-based paint removal?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |
Cool

Hey! I'm New!

My passions are public health focusing on lead poisoning, recycling and green products. I am an old hippy with grandchildren now. Yikes. My husband and I tried to remodel a 1930's cottage and ended up demolishing it. Very disappointing. Rotten and weak foundation, stream running into the basement after last spring's thaw, and tons of lead-based paint. Worked carefully with the old paint as the grandbabies are coming there lots. So, we started over. We saved much of the old flooring, doors, windows, sinks, etc. and reused them. New, high-efficiency (and very expensive )HVAC. Much more natural light. DIY tips on products and projects, which I have been saving for years ),really did come in handy.
LeadQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Owner

Hey! I'm New!

Welcome! Where are you located?
(208) 818-8241

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Hey! I'm New!

Welcome

I didnt vote because there wasnt a choice to hire a lead certified contractor. With all the new RRP laws out there, its best to hire a professional on any home built before 1978 if you are unsure if lead paint is present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Hey! I'm New!

Welcome to the forum LeadQueen! If you had a chance to take some pictures of your work, we'd love to see them.

Barb
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

Hey! I'm New!

We live in Reston, VA outside Washington, DC but are having trouble waiting until we retire to move to Chestertown, MD on the beautiful Chester River. I will dig up some before and after pix of our old/new cottage.

Regarding my survey, I disagree that one should always hire a professional to remove lead-based paint. DIYers can do it safely, too. No high heat guns, torches or sanding/shaving without vacuums. Infrared heat is low heat, safe for worker, occupants, and environment, and EPA compliant. www.eco-strip.com

Catherine
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Hey! I'm New!

Welcome to the site !
Most of the trim in my house has all been stripped or removed/replaced
That still leaves the walls that have old paint covered over
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Hey! I'm New!

Lead is a fact of life in older homes. I am covering up on walls. I am removing paint on moving parts in my house and on trim (to reveal the beautiful contours lost to 200 years of paint). I have two infrared heaters that I use all the time to remove paint - they are EZ and safe. One we bought and one my husband made.

When I am working with paint removal I exercise basis safety measures. I avoid dry sanding. I wear long pants, shirt, and cover my hair. I keep work clothes separate and don't wear them out of work areas - same with shoes.

I religiously wash my hands and face EVERY time I leave my work area (and twice before eating).

And Chestertown is a great place to move to.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Hey! I'm New!

Leah,
Good job protecting yourself about lead paint. Your album shows beautiful, life-time of love work on your home. Just watch your dog around those paint chips with his chew toy. Pets get sick from lead, too.

Tags
eco-strip, infrared paint removal, lead paint, paint removal