Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Hello, from Wichita, KS

Hello everyone. I'm a self confessed work-aholic. I often start multiple projects before I finish any. At any given time I can count about 6 projects that I'm actually working on around the house. I have a 5 day old new-born baby boy

I recently got married and have "inherited" a Gunnison Home built in 1952. My first home to work on is also a prefabricated home with all kinds of odd-ball construction techniques I had never heard of until having to work on it myself.

Every wall in the house is a "curtain wall". Even the exterior walls are 2x3 inch studs turned sideways with marine grade 1/2" plywood glued and stapled on either side of the studs. The entire house went up in 4x8 sections. The rigidity of the panels and the way they attached the roof to the walls supposedly makes this type of construction stronger than your normal 2x4 and drywall construction.

A couple stipulations of this type of a house is weird sized windows and doors. The Exterior doors are 35" wide. The windows, although a standard size, due to the 2" thick walls are installed directly into the rough opening in the wall. No casement. All the interior doors are 32" standard size but all the rough openings are only one inch larger than the doors so when I went to replaced the doors after adding an additional 1/2" drywall to the interior walls I had to use 1/2" plywood to make custom sized jams.

One nice thing about this construction is after they framed and pressed these 4x8 wall panels they used a router type cutting mechanism to cut out perfectly plum and level window and door cut outs. So very little shimming to do.

One thing I haven't had the courage to figure out is how to rewire this house.

I look forward to great conversations about diy topics as I enjoy working in the house. Not as much as I enjoy landscaping which is my true passion...but I do enjoy it.

Take Care!
tyler_mott85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hello, from Wichita, KS

Welcome to the Forum.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

Hello, from Wichita, KS

Welcome! Congrats on your new addition!
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote