Hello, And What Have I Gotten Myself Into? - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello, and what have I gotten myself into?

Hi everyone, new here, but not to home improvement.

I'm currently waiting to close on fixer upper (with emphasis on the fixer) that I'm planning to live in. It's definitely the worst house in the best area I could afford. The previous owner stripped the place down to the walls taking everything that wasn't bolted down and most of the stuff that was.

The house needs a furnace, especially with fall in central Ohio coming on, some plumbing repairs (he, or someone else stole some of the copper), and some, but hopefully not too much, roof work, among many many other things, to get it into livable shape.

Maybe I should start a new thread with some of the pictures of the devastation.

Carl

Advertisement

Carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

That's a good idea---pictures--age of house and as much info on the pressing needs to get the house working.

Welcome-----And jump right in.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Think of it as an Upper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a fixer. Your log in does not show where you are located, I did see you mentioned Ohio, where in Ohio and it does help others in answering questions if you include a general idea where you are located, different retailers, climate issues, etc.

Glad you joined us and GOOD Luck with your Upper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carld
Hi everyone, new here, but not to home improvement.

I'm currently waiting to close on fixer upper (with emphasis on the fixer) that I'm planning to live in. It's definitely the worst house in the best area I could afford. The previous owner stripped the place down to the walls taking everything that wasn't bolted down and most of the stuff that was.

The house needs a furnace, especially with fall in central Ohio coming on, some plumbing repairs (he, or someone else stole some of the copper), and some, but hopefully not too much, roof work, among many many other things, to get it into livable shape.

Maybe I should start a new thread with some of the pictures of the devastation.

Carl
Pictures will be nice.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I'll post a new thread with picture shortly.

Edit: I guess that would go under General Discussion?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

If you post in "General Discussion" then be sure to also reference this thread so everyone can find the beginning.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

THere is no reason not to post pic's on this thread.

Mark
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

Okay, here is fine with me.

Basic Info: I'm in Newark Ohio, about 40 miles East of Columbus. The house is 1,058 sq. ft., 2 stories, built in 1930. The previous owner, or someone else, stripped the place down to the walls leaving almost no fixtures or anything else behind.

It's in a pretty decent area of town. The houses aren't too close together, there's a garage, and enough backyard for my dogs.

Here's the outside, from the Realtor's shot.

You can see someone took the shutters off the ground floor window, and I'll have to figure out how to secure that downspout that's hanging off the side.

Here's one side view. You can see a little soffit damage on the decorative roof line on that side.

Here's a closer view of the missing soffits (I guess that's what they'd be called even though it's really for decoration.

Back of the house:

Back yard: I think most of the pieces of the fence are there. The fence mesh itself is rolled up on the left-hand side with views growing all over it.

I think they took it down to get a moving van into the back yard. Eventually I'll have it replaced, but I'll try to string it back up for now. There garage needs some work, but it's good enough for now.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

This is going to be a fun one!

If I can give you one piece of advice.

PRIORITIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about visuals until things are structural sound. This is the hardest part if you are living in it when you are doing the project. At least for me, I wanted things to be pretty and ended up getting ahead of myself in a few areas.

Good luck, I started with something worse than you ten years ago, and here I am, living in a great old house with character to spare.

You'll do great!

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Interior shots:

Inside: Living room

This is the fireplace in the living room. I've never seen an insert that sticks out into the room like that. The fireplace itself is pretty deep so I'm assuming it's not just decorative, but I'm not sure.

Looking from the living room into the dining room: The hardwood floors are a little beat up, but a good cleaning and they'll be fine for right now.

The gutted kitchen: Taken from the back porch. There's literally nothing useable here. I'll pull up all the flooring and decide what to do from there, paint of course. The previous owner made some interesting color choices.

Some water damage in the kitchen, bathroom is directly above, that the previous owner patched. I'm not sure what I'll do here, possibly sand everything down and put up beadboard on the ceiling.

The dark square on the floor is where the furnace used to sit.

Heading upstairs: I believe the stairs and the upper floor were all carpeted at one time.

The previous owner was apparently in the middle of his own renovation when he got foreclosed on. There's blue painters tape and drywall patch all over the place on the second floor, and again, more interesting colors.

The yellow bedroom:

The other bedrooms are pink and light purple.

The darker purple bathroom:
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #11

A few more shots:

Attic: where I first noticed a puddle following a really bad series of storms. That's on my fix right away list.

The breaker box: It has a couple of electrician's stickers on it, so I'm assuming it won't burn the place down ... I don't think.

And this is were they cut and stole two of the copper pipes in the basement. Getting the water back on is my first priority, so that's fix #1.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
This is going to be a fun one!

If I can give you one piece of advice.

PRIORITIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about visuals until things are structural sound. This is the hardest part if you are living in it when you are doing the project. At least for me, I wanted things to be pretty and ended up getting ahead of myself in a few areas.

Good luck, I started with something worse than you ten years ago, and here I am, living in a great old house with character to spare.

You'll do great!
Thanks. Yes, my priorities will be:

1. Getting the water turned on and getting a plumber in to fix the pipes. This is day #1 stuff if at all possible. I can live without heat for a little while, but I gotta have running water and a working toilet.

2. Gas and furnace. Getting the heat on will be really important soon. It's just turning toward heating season in Ohio (not yet, but soon), so the furnace guys are going to be swamped. I'll try to get it scheduled asap.

Along with that is AC. I believe the house had central air at one time, but all of that is gone now. Though I didn't find any air return vents on the top floor. I need to investigate that further.

3. Roof. There's definitely a leak, so I'll have to have it patched to get me through the winter and then replaced or re-shingled next year.

4. Kitchen. I can live with a kitchen setup in the dining room for a while, but the kitchen will be the first room to work on after the basic systems are back on and working. Thankfully the house seems sound and there won't be any drywalling or rebuilding needed, as far as I can tell.

Eventually I might like to combine the small bedroom and the tiny bedroom upstairs into one good sized room. But that's a far off project right now.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carld View Post
Thanks. Yes, my priorities will be:

1. Getting the water turned on and getting a plumber in to fix the pipes. This is day #1 stuff if at all possible. I can live without heat for a little while, but I gotta have running water and a working toilet.

2. Gas and furnace. Getting the heat on will be really important soon. It's just turning toward heating season in Ohio (not yet, but soon), so the furnace guys are going to be swamped. I'll try to get it scheduled asap.

Along with that is AC. I believe the house had central air at one time, but all of that is gone now. Though I didn't find any air return vents on the top floor. I need to investigate that further.

3. Roof. There's definitely a leak, so I'll have to have it patched to get me through the winter and then replaced or re-shingled next year.

4. Kitchen. I can live with a kitchen setup in the dining room for a while, but the kitchen will be the first room to work on after the basic systems are back on and working. Thankfully the house seems sound and there won't be any drywalling or rebuilding needed, as far as I can tell.

Eventually I might like to combine the small bedroom and the tiny bedroom upstairs into one good sized room. But that's a far off project right now.
Good plan, it looks like your panel was upgraded to 100 amp service at some point, probably came with 60 amp fuses originally.

I would check and see if they just did the panel or rewired the whole thing??

Old knob and tube wiring can be dangerous on a 100 amp service, mostly because it is old and cloth wrapped wiring.

It's going to be a great house when you get done. It has a lot of character.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
Good plan, it looks like your panel was upgraded to 100 amp service at some point, probably came with 60 amp fuses originally.

I would check and see if they just did the panel or rewired the whole thing??

Old knob and tube wiring can be dangerous on a 100 amp service, mostly because it is old and cloth wrapped wiring.

It's going to be a great house when you get done. It has a lot of character.
It looks like the house has been rewired. I could only find one piece of knob and tube that's still attached, and I think that goes to the back porch light. I'm planning to bring an electrician in to look things over to make sure it's not hazardous or anything.

Unfortunately there was another bid on the house and the bank required that all inspections and contingencies be dropped from the offers. I'm hoping I won't find too many really bad surprises.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the Site !

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote