Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Hello from Toronto

Hello fellow DIYers! I'm looking forward to drawing on all the great collective experiences contained in this forum. I'm a first time homeowner living in a house that has a LOT of work yet to be done. I've been learning through trial and error since the summer and so far it's been a pretty wild ride. I successfully installed my first kitchen in the basement (which is now its own seperate unit) as well as a new laminate floor that covers about 75% of the unit along with new baseboards. I even built a custom cabinet to cover what was otherwise an exposed panel box surrounded by a large and ugly unfinished hole in the wall! It's not perfect, made some mistakes (such as drilling a hole through the new kitchen counter! luckily I managed to just hide it under the sink..) but all in all it's in pretty good shape and millions of times better than what was there before (ok, maybe only 3 or 4 times better). It is now being rented so along with being a newbie homeowner/DIYer i'm also a newbie landlord! The stress mounts.. I'm currently splitting my efforts between finishing the main and second floors. We hope to rent out the main floor in the new year (the house is three units) but to do that we need a kitchen on the second floor first! And that's where I'm at now... I've decided to set the bar high: I have already fully gutted the room. I plan to insulate the exterior walls (one wall will be extended to hide plumbing that currently runs outside the wall), rewire all receptacles, refit new plumbing, refurbish the exposed brick wall on the shared side of the house (this may be more work than i bargained for), install new cabinets courtesy of IKEA (going with Lidingo for anyone who's in the know) AND, as if I wasn't feeling challenged enough, I am considering pouring my own concrete countertops!! I'm Feeling ok about this daunting task but hopefully some support from the community here will encourage me along further. I have many a question and will most certainly be posting more in the days to come. I may even start a general thread to show the progress/chaos as it unfolds. Thank you for including me in your community. -Andrew

demandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello from Toronto

Welcome Andrew! You've come to the right place. There are lots of skilled tradespeople here who are all very generous with their time and knowledge.

I grew up in T.O. and am now living just outside of Uxbridge
Jan

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote