Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hello and thanks already

I've had a bit of experience redoing farm wiring, gutting and rebuilding three kitchens, two cottages, and two RV's, but I'm still an amateur. I was trying to explain a house wiring problem to someone and couldn't remember the correct terminology or the wire he was running into (cloth NM). I googl'ed and found this forum and found what I needed, so thanks! I think I'll be scanning a lot of posts or my own info.

(BTW - my goal was to convince him to NOT DIY, but to call an electrician. I think I succeeded.)

Mike
mvp1114

mvp1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Hello and thanks already

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp1114 View Post
I've had a bit of experience redoing farm wiring, gutting and rebuilding three kitchens, two cottages, and two RV's, but I'm still an amateur. I was trying to explain a house wiring problem to someone and couldn't remember the correct terminology or the wire he was running into (cloth NM). I googl'ed and found this forum and found what I needed, so thanks! I think I'll be scanning a lot of posts or my own info.

(BTW - my goal was to convince him to NOT DIY, but to call an electrician. I think I succeeded.)

Mike
mvp1114
Welcome..... Why"

Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Hello and thanks already

I suppose you mean "why did I try to convince him to have an electrician do it?"- long story.

Well, he's doing repairs in a rental home, has a rat's nest in the basement and a mysterious 6v trickle in one circuit in the rental. The previous "electrician" (supposedly licensed) took out the old fusebox and put in a 100A breaker box about 3' away from the fusebox . . . then used the old fusebox as a junction box, running THHN from the breakers into the old fusebox and connecting to the existing wiring. THEN, the last guy doubled up connections on the breakers and in one case has two hot lines coming to the old fusebox going into two separate circuits but "y-ed" to the same common . . . oh yeah, no ground since it's old-style cloth NM. It's one of these that has the phantom 6v trickle going on.

I assume it's a short in the old NM feeder line going upstairs, but suggested that he get a licensed electrician in to look at the mess first.

Mike
mvp1114
mvp1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Hello and thanks already

Sounds like good advice-----electrical trouble shooting can be a challenge and requires a certain type of thinking---Welcome---Join right in--Mike----
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Hello and thanks already

Congratulations if you think that you're succeeded.
eliciasam1 is offline   Reply With Quote