Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Rebuilding Together - SL

Rewards Points: 10

Hello from St. Louis

This looks like a great place for me to be! I'm Al (Melkisadek) from St. Louis and I'm throwing my hat into the ring. I'm retired and I'm spending a day or so every week doing repairs on other people's homes.
To be more specific I work for the local office of a national group called Rebuilding Together. We donate time and materials to fix up the homes of low income homeowners in our area.
I and my good buddy, John, are the ones who do small projects all through the year. The vast majority of our efforts are done by several thousand volunteers on a single Saturday in the Spring of each year.
John and I do prep work for that day and followup afterward to complete whatever we can.
I hope I haven't violated any forum rules with what reads (to me) like an ad. My intro was to let you folks know where I'm coming from and what I'm involved in the requires DIY skills. John's been doing this stuff for about four years and he's a retired banker. My experience is from strictly nonprofessional home repairing.
We help low income elderly folks stay in their own homes a bit longer. Most of their homes are 50-90 years old and sometimes present real challenges. And the variety of stuff we run into when we're hoping to find just a simple repair job can be daunting.
In the last few months I've been hanging a lot of drywall on ceilings and laying plywood subfloors. Now John's off on a well earned vacation and I'm looking at the needs of 10 homes and sorting out what I can do by myself and what I'll have to wait on.

Finding this website is a terrific gift for me. I'll be avidly reading posts in areas that I dabble in and (after I've done my homework), I'll be delighted to seek your advice and to contribute my two cents.

Snuff about me,
If you got this far, thanks for reading

Al from St. Louie

melkisadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hello from St. Louis

Welcome!

I just got back from St. Louis.

I was sorry to hear about your pitcher.
Saw Cardinals VS Cubs Game 1 a few weeks back...

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello from St. Louis

Hi Al Melkisadek from St. Louis
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
judybrowne

Rewards Points: 10

Hello from St. Louis

Welcome Al,
Rebuilding Together is also very active here in Denver. I spend my volunteer hours with Habitat for Humanity and know several people that also help out with rebuilding together.

What a great way to practice those DIY skills and help the community.

Judy
WorkshopforWomen is offline   Reply With Quote