Hello From South Eastern Pennsylvania - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Hello from South Eastern Pennsylvania

Well after 2 months, I figured I better introduce myself I always want members to use the Introduction forum that we created on our photography website (also run with vBulletin) so thought I would do the same here.

We've been doing our own home repairs and installs since at least 1986 with our first home. We had installed all new woodwork inside bedroom doors which I stained myself, then helped my husband install it.
I stripped our old kitchen cabinets the previous owner had installed and stained them a lighter color. What a huge difference and a big savings at the time.

I also like to refinish furniture, and sometimes buy unfinished furniture and stain and finish it myself.

In our newer house since 1995, we've installed Bruce Hardwood floors in our whole first floor a couple years after our house was built. Just this year we also had wood floors installed in our upstairs master bedroom, 2 hallways, 2 walk in closets and an upstairs study. Finally, no more steam cleaning of wall to wall carpets

In the very near future we are replacing the builders grade kitchen cabinets, since one already fell off the wall and 3 more are already showing signs of falling off (emptied those out already just in case)
We had replaced the one cabinet (slightly different color than the ones installed 15 years earlier since the company no longer offered the exact stain color. Had to replace our center island base with the same. So already had cabinets with 2 slightly off shades of stain. Just this past December, after beginning to paint our kitchen, we find out 3 more cabinets are falling down.

So, instead of replacing the 3 more cabinets that are falling down with the same IF we can find the same color (so far no luck), we decided to make some slight changes in the layout and buy new better made RTA cabinets, possibly from a recommendation I saw here rather than those Chinese made cabinets.

Then the next major project will be to finish our basement. We want to install an entry rather than an egress window the township requires for finished basements. It will give us easier access and a private entry to my "new studio" .
I need a nicer more organized and roomy work area to mat, frame my photography for festivals and shows.
We will be moving our computer desk and Epson pro printer to the basement so everything pertaining to my art is all in one room. Hopefully have the walls setup that I can hang all my art during the off season so customers can come to my house if they are looking for some of my work. I'm already getting a lot of requests from those that can't make the outdoor shows, they want to come see my work at my studio (which I don't officially have right now)
We plan to take all our older kitchen cabinets that are still in good condition so far and move them to the basement and just toss out the bad ones. I plan to use them for storage of some of my art supplies and maybe use the center island and a matting and framing area and store my mats and glass inside the cabinets.

Then have a lot of miscellaneous repairs like replacing the front door and 2 sidelights, garage doors and hopefully not much more

So I came here to get ideas and to have questions answered that both my husband and I might have through any of our upcoming projects.

Advertisement

Last edited by DIY-Her; 04-23-2012 at 04:18 AM.
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Greetings and Welcome to the Site.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Welcome fellow Bucks, I live in Warrington. There is a Restore in Chalfont that sells new stuff that builders donate for Habitat for Humanity, you may fine a lot of stuff for your basement and I have found complete kitchen cabinet sets on the floor.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

thanks all, and thanks Randy, good to see another fellow Bucks County resident. I'm in D-town, my husband works in Warrington.
I never knew about the Restore, just checked their website, looks like a nice place to also donate appliances.
Will have to visit them.
I have no clue how we are going to get just the kitchen done since I do all the local art festivals just about every weekend, but I'm sure we will fit in the time somehow
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Hi, Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for posting the Intro.
I have good friends that live in Washington Crossing.
....Bob
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

Hi Bob, I love Washington Crossing area, lots of great photo ops. Used to drive through it on my way to and from work from D-town to Princeton, NJ
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Welcome. Great intro.

Advertisement

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote