Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Hello from Ontario

Hi folks. I just purchased a 'fixer upper', my first house. Being a pretty big fan of forums I figured a good first step would be to find a good forum and start looking things up. The house is going to need a lot of work, but nothing too major. I'll be doing the work myself, but I am fully amateur.

Hopefully I'll be able to give back to the forum a bit as I run a gardening company so I'll try and lend advice in that section in return for the advice I'll be asking .

Quick note, and i did look it up but just couldn't find the actual spot - how do you include a sig? I see some have them so they must be enabled...

Edit: I'm going to throw a little more info in here, just in case anyone reading wants to help point me in a certain direction - I feel like I'll be researching till my eyes bleed over the next while.

Stuff the house needs:

1. It has no heat. There is a woodstove and a baseboard heater in the kitchen and bathroom. I have no idea what previous owners were heating the 4 bedrooms, dining room, living room and family room with. But I have to do something. Easiest thing is likely to install baseboard heaters, but I'm thinking about trying to do an oil furnace. There is no ductwork. So that will be the biggest project in the house and likely the most expensive, but I'll be trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

2. Saggy/springy floor in bedroom. One of the bedrooms has a super springy floor - like, scary springy. My general plan right now is just to tear up the ceiling below (it's second floor bedroom - the only problem one in the house so I'm thinking it was simply underbuilt during an adition) and see what's there. I'm hoping that just sistering on some extra joists and - I think maybe there isn't anything decent as far as a subfloor, so adding a decent subfloor...well, I'm hoping that does the job.

3. Various other little things, drywalling behind tub surround, drywalling some rooms, installing some tile floors in the kitchen and some wood in dining room, general stuff like that as needed in a fixer upper.

I have somewhere between 10k-15k for the whole job. I recognize that this is probably a challenging number, but I also have about 10 weeks off and a nose for a deal. I'll be doing everything as cheaply as humanly possible. My diy skills aren't very high, but I have competence just not much experience. Should be a fun project, I've been working towards owniing my own place for 10 years so pretty excited, and lots of pent up 'work energy' in me.

Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-08-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Hello from Ontario

Welcome! I'm from Ontario myself.

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, but it's always fun to do this when you have the time and money! Don't go TOO cheap though, or you'll regret it later. I would make a list of what is most important and tackle one thing at a time, and do it right. Be prepared to run into surprises where you end up having to do more then what you intended. Often happens.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote