Hello From New York - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello from New York

Hello everyone - if all goes right I will be posting many questions on this forum so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm in the planning stages of building a shed for a home gym. I also have practically no experience in carpentry, construction or design. All I have is an interest in building something I can be proud of and enjoy with my own two hands.

The idea of building this shed snowballed from realizing I didn't the appropriate space for a gym in my house. I thought of moving the gym outdoors, but then after taking into consideration the winters in the northeast I arrived at the realization this "shed" would also require heating and electric. So, for my first project I'm basically building a miniature house.

In my research so far I have picked up Housebuilding: A Do-It-Yourself Guide, Ultimate Guide to House Framing, and Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building. Knowing that I will have to obtain approval and permits, I've accepted this project might take until the end of next summer to complete, with this year dedicated to just learning construction and obtaining the necessary paperwork.

In my brainstorming thus far, I would like the shed to house my gym equipment, be heated, have electricity, have a green planted roof, have a small reading/lounging/napping area, and have a modern look (not sure exactly what yet - corten, concrete, etc.). Also, the shed will have to fit within a part of my property that is 50' x 18'. My initial thinking is that the shed will be 20' x 11' taking into account setback requirements and existing landscaping.

I would appreciate recommendations on any resources that people found helpful when they began their DIY. So far, I've already learned that it will probably be better for me to go with a concrete slab foundation in a thread I created on this forum - unfortunately I can't link because I don't have more than five posts yet. Looking forward to spending time on this forum!

Advertisement

AeneasWalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hello from New York

Welcome from another New Yorker

Advertisement

jodway84 is offline   Reply With Quote