Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

Hello from ND

Well, I suppose it is time for my introduction. I am from North Dakota where trees are sparse but the wind is plenty.

I bought a home approximately 3 years ago. It is a split level 3 bedroom house. After moving in, the first project was to insulate the concrete walls in the lower level. With that done, then I needed to fix the shower drain from the guy before me. He built a new bathroom downstairs, but did not drain the shower correctly so it leaked all over the floor after each shower. Then the rec room in the lower level got a massive face lift and was turned into a master bedroom with new walk in closet and new french doors.

All of the doors in the lower level were replaced with solid wood, oak, 6 panel doors. I spent the winter sanding, staining, varnishing them. The laundry room was unfinished so I finished that and then it got a new ceramic tile floor. Next was to install some new double hung windows. I upgraded the electrical from a 100 AMP fuse/breaker panel to a 200 AMP breaker panel. Then came the 2 stall 24 X 30 garage with attached 10 X 12 shed, 100 AMP subpanel, and extended driveway. Fence was done during this time also and the neighbor and I went in together and finished the fence in between him and myself. The bathroom downstairs got a new ceiling, new paint, and a new heated tile floor. Some CAT5E was ran through the house sometime during this time as well and a patch panel put in place to tie in some of the home's network devices.

And just when things were starting to calm down, the new project has been started. Converting the single stall attached garage into kitchen/living. This conversion will mean new french patio door (already installed) larger dining area, new kitchen, much more storage then now, larger living room, and finish replacing the last few old windows in the house. I am also going to bump the insulation in the attic up in the whole house when it comes time to insulate the new part. This summer is going to be a busy time with 3 boys, 2 dogs, a full time job, and everything else life tends to throw on you.

Some background on my experience. I have helped my dad build 2 additions onto their house and then we did a major renovation on their lake cabin where we tore the roof off and built a whole new second story with cathedrial ceiling, loft, bedrooms, etc. Then we went back after a few years and added on a 2 stall garage with a game room up above. I have helped my brother in law and sister remodel their old farm house. My brother in law is an electrician so he feeds me advice on what to do with wiring. The plumbing and framing is all what I have learned from my dad (farmer by trait), what I learned from drafting classes in high school, and I am a life long student of the University of Google.

So, to sum up the whole thread, I am just a guy who likes to stay busy.

voglede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Hello from ND

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy!

Gary

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hello from ND

Greetings!
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #4

Hello from ND

Hello from a Fargo resident!!

What area of our "Non-Winter 2011/12" state are you from?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

Hello from ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron79
Hello from a Fargo resident!!

What area of our "Non-Winter 2011/12" state are you from?

Faron
This winter has been nice. Quite relaxing with positive thoughts of no flooding. I am living in Fargo as well. Nice to meet you!
voglede is offline   Reply With Quote