Hello! My Name Is... - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hello! My name is...

Hey everyone! Looks like a great forum! Been searching and lurking here for a couple months and thought it would be a wise idea to join and start asking questions.

My wife and I just bought our first home and we picked a really doozy! Since we can't do anything like normal people, we had to go and get something that needed a little work. But... "the house is going to be great", right?

We recently purchased a 1937 brick, Tudor style home on a pretty decent plot of land in a nice and quiet area. The house needs a little bit of everything, but is totally livable, and big enough that we can shut off a room or two and work on them without disrupting our daily lives too much. The house has had some work done to it already, including new windows, new 200 AMP main electrical panel (several years old now), about 75% the wiring replaced, and about 90% of the plumbing replaced. Even had a new kitchen put in with great appliances. So, we're off to a running start, but so far the list of things to do and learn HOW to do is long, but I love this stuff and have always been one to try and to do things myself until I reach a certain point where I feel like I'm out of my comfort level. So far, after being in our house for about 2 months now, here's what I get to do/learn...

* wood floor repair
* wiring
* plumbing
* roofing and flashing repair
* drywall and mudding
* trim and detail work
* tiling
* insulation
* landscaping and lawn repair (old owners pretty much let it all go!)
* masonry work
* framing
* stair building
* pretty much everything else!

But, I'm psyched and we have plenty of time to do the work. I've been messing with hot rods, custom cars and metal fabrication for quite awhile now and being that my wife and I both grew up in houses that were always under construction, I guess it was just inevitable that we would end up buying a "project" that we can make our own and make a great place for our family.

Looking forward to spending some time reading here and I KNOW I will have oodles of questions for all you folks.

I'll post an introduction for the HOUSE soon! We actually started a DIY blog for the house progress and as soon as we get it populated with pics, plans, and info, I will post the link.

Thanks for reading my long intro!

Cheers!
Scott

Advertisement

Last edited by scootermcrad; 07-23-2012 at 09:47 AM.
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Hello! My name is...

Ahh, the never ending list.
I've got one of those.
Welcome!

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello! My name is...

Welcome Scott and wife

You guys did great. The important thing to remember when buying real estate is to focus on the things that can't change and be willing to work with the things that can.
Decent plot, nice quiet neighbourhood..doesn't get much better then that!
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote