Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Hello from Michigan

Feb-22-2007

I just joined this great forum -- source of lot of helpful information!

yogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Hello from Michigan

Hi There
Welcome

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Hello from Michigan

Feb-22-2007

Thanks for the Welcome slickshift -- I notice that you have been a member of the forum for quite some time. I hope to be at the forum often.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
despriate4repairs

Hello from Michigan

Hello Yogia

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
depriate4repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #5

Hello from Michigan

Feb-23-2007

Hi Kelly:

I just looked at your website -- WOW! what a marvelous communicator you are -- Great Job explaining about the renovation project for your house.

Are you guys, I mean you and your husband back in the States or are you still in Iraq?. Since you have such definite ideas about how the finished product should look like, it would be great if the work could be done in your presence and under your supervision.

Let me know the status of your work at this point in time and keep us posted with the progress.

Once again ... Congrats on a Great job.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
despriate4repairs

Hello from Michigan

no we are still here (iraq) and the main reason for the site was to be able to give the contractor a better idea of what hes bidding on before he goes in since i can expect my mom (who is living there) to remember every single detail...

This is let me and my hubby "bicker" over diffrent details and plan it the way we both wanted it with out it costing a fortune to do something and then deside we didnt like it. You would be amazed at how many diffrent times the (digi) house had to be "re-done" because of a dispute between eric and i but we came together and got it the way we both liked it. i just figured how is a contractor supposed to read my mind when i say i want the room to feel open and not cluttered. that could be taken 50 zillion diffrnet ways. and no two peoples opions are the same.

We have some very definate guildlines that we want but i have also done my homework as far as products go... (i have a list and there was some artistic leway taken just cause i am a computer goo-ru and not an arcitech (sp?) but between the list and him knowing what we actually want it should make it easier. And i have always felt that the more information you give someone (that is doing something for you) the better off it will come out.

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
Old 02-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
despriate4repairs

Hello from Michigan

oh and the main reason that we do not want to do this while at home is because we want to be able to relax and just play with the kids and not fiddle with details...

I would also like to say i am not picking the cheap products i just price shop on the good stuff and get lots of feedback on weither its a good price or not cause i know i dont know EVERYTHING although i would probley prefer to think i did ROFL!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

Hello from Michigan

Feb-24-2007

Hi Kelly:

Your drawings before and after are not only a good way of doing it -- it is a must for you to decide what you want and to arrive at a consensus with the people concerned, Eric included for sure.

Remodeling is a specialty in itself ... and you may even have two different contractors involved -- one responsible for all the interior work, and another responsible for the exterior work. And each contractor may use subs to suit.

Also don't be surprised, that a contractor providing you a bid may suggest some changes based on his experience, some constraints due to existing construction, some code requirement, availability or cost of a particular material, and so forth. So be prepared to update your after drawings, if so necessary.

Your approach of before and after drawings is great for a contractor to view the existing situation and communicate with you whether he can meets your desires for the finished product 100% or to whatever extent.

The bidding contractor may also suggest some changes for cost-effectiveness as well, or to meet your budget constraints.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you how things go on this project. Have you decide on work start and work completion date yet?. Please keep us posted with the progress on your dream house project.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #9

Hello from Michigan

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
despriate4repairs

Hello from Michigan

Yeah when i did it i sort of guessed that some changes would have to be made but how you plan to "finish" a room tells a person a lot too. and quite honestly i wanted to make sure my husband and i were on the same page. So we didnt do something and then him go well i hate that ROFL. There are some things with the drawings that i could not do very well but i am still learning and i wanted to be fair to the person who was trying to give a bid.

Our house does need quite a bit of work and if he doesnt know what we are trying to accomplish then how is he suppose to bid it??? I found one general contractor that so far i really like.

I asked my neighbor to get in touch with him and she didnt (gr-r-r) but my mother gets there in a day or two and she has all his info so she said that it was no problem to let him in the house.

How i found out is i actually did a follow up and asking if he had a chance to do the appraisal yet and found out my neighbour never emailed. I was like omg i am so sorry and he was like no worries we will jsut wait till your mom is set up.... Hes been very nice and very strait forward. and he is unioned, insured and all that jazz. very nice man though... i dont know any advice.....

My husband thinks my taste is too expensive but i have been price shopping and found some really nice mohawk carpet for a good price... and trying to cut cost with out cutting quality. i figure you cant beat a 10 year warentee.....

Oh yeah sorry rambling....