Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

hello from MI!

Hello,

as you can tell by my username, my name is Kristin and my husband and I are one of many people all over the country that purchased a foreclosed home that was in terrible shape.. and are slowly but surely updating it.

Our biggest obstacle is $$ of course -- so this is a slow go, but we're making it.

Anyhow, I've realized I don't have that great of an interior decorating flair.... and it's very discouraging! It seems like I have this mystical idea in my head of what I want.. and whever I try something, it DOESNT WORK!

I'm hoping I'll be able to get some much-needed sprucing-up advice here!

Look forward to speaking with you all soon-
Kristin

NewlywedKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #2

hello from MI!

I used to be the same as you. I went to a homebuilding and renovating show a few years back and there were a few courses on how to choose colour schemes and how to make different colour schemes work.

After that, everything was easy and we found we could create some spectacular effects by keeping to one very simple rule:

Choose three colours that work well together. They can compliment or contrast, it doesn't matter.

Use two of them as main colours, and the third as a highlight colour and then use them throughout the room - walls, ceilings, floor coverings, fabrics, and so on. You don't have to have three main colours all as paints - you may paint or paper the room in two colours and then use the third colour in furnishings, for example. Or paint the walls one colour and use carpet for your second main colour. However you do it, you'll find the three colour rule works well.

A little bit of experimentation and you'll find it can work extremely well. From my own experience, I have found that the two main colours ought to compliment each other, but the third can be quite a bold contrast if you want.

I would recommend going to a local bookstore and having a browse through their home interior design and decorating books. Look for some inspiration. Look for something with lots of handy hints that explain how the profesionals get the effect they want. Incidentally, when you're looking at the photographs in these books you'll notice the three colour rule appearing time and time again.

Finally, when you're experimenting, start with a small room - an upstairs bedroom or a bathroom for example. Then by the time you're on your main rooms you'll be getting great results every time.

mboxwell is offline   Reply With Quote