Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Wounded Mathematician

Share |

Hello. I moved my house...

... and I will likely need advice from you fine folks from time to time. The last year or so has been quite an adventure into the world of DIY.

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. About 5 years ago, we bought a small, 100 year old Craftsman-styled house after falling in love with it. (photo below)

We lived in this house for 4 years. The house is small (about 1000 sq ft) and was on a large lot. In those 4 years, the property value doubled, so we decided to cash in. All of the property value was in the land, not the house. We didn't want to move out and see the house ripped down by developers (which is what would have happened), so we looked at various ways to save it.

We eventually sold the land with the agreement that we would move the house off the property. This happened last summer. We moved the house by truck, then by barge to one of the Gulf Islands between the mainland and Vancouver Island. The house now sits on a new foundation with a new roof on Gabriola Island, BC.

I am a DIYer with admittedly limited (but growing) carpentry and construction experience. I still have a tonne of work to do on this huge project and will be asking dumb questions here from time to time. When I have time (ha!), I will gladly answer questions about my experience. I will also post photos of the house-moving process.

Cheers

shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

Welcome! That's cool that you salvage the house...that's a massive project in itself. As for the pictures...most here like'em...so post away!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi and welcome to the site. We look forward to seeing your pictures.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Welcome! and WOW!

Please post more pics...
pwhoolboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Wounded Mathematician

I have just uploaded some photos of the house move. Just click on "My Photos" on the left near my screen name.

They are in sequence, but you have to start at page 2 and work backwards to see them in the proper order (if ya know what I mean).

I'll start a thread in the Construction forum to continue any discussions about this project.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #6

Nice Photos! Welcome to the forum. Keep posting.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Floating in the Gulf

Smile

Wow... I am so impressed. I also own a small house, around 1000 sqft... and I easily understand how you could love that one. If I ever move, you will have inspired me to take it with me!
krankykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Drywall and Painting Pro

Techically you have owned a House boat.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #9

On the barge, were there 2 homes? Lots of moving going on there? Great job...love the house, beautiful location. Did you do do all the post-move work i.e. plumbing, elec, etc?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

And I think redoing my bathroom is a project

Completely changing the subject, I like your gargoyle avatar. I have a small collections of them. My favorite one is close to your pic:

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Wounded Mathematician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
On the barge, were there 2 homes? Lots of moving going on there? Great job...love the house, beautiful location. Did you do do all the post-move work i.e. plumbing, elec, etc?
We shared a barge with another homeowner to cut our (and his) costs. I don't know exactly how common this house moving thing is, but apparently there are quite a few moved-on houses on the Gulf Islands.

I am currently in the process of doing most of the post-move work myself. The house was moved at the end of last summer and the foundation and the roof was done in the fall. The rest is very slow going for me because I have a day job and a limited budget (and a life). I intend to do as much of the work as I can, but have resigned myself to the fact that this will be a slow process. It is a recreation/future retirement property.

I will post more up-to-date photos when I get a chance. As of now, the photos only show the move itself.

I also have a lot of very specific questions that I will ask here. I have already found answers to some things here just by searching. As I mentioned, my skills as a DIYer are admittedly limited but growing. As you can probably tell, I like a challenge.

No one said this would be easy...