Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello - Basement Project - Grafton, MA

Hello,

I am joining because I am embarking on a basement finishing project in Grafton, MA. I have never finished a basement, so I will be learning as I go. I have been researching this project for a while and I have now jumped in with both feet. I hope to share what I have and will learn and get some tips along the way.

Follow my progress here!

Chris

Last edited by cfsully; 04-01-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: add hyperlink to project thread
cfsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Welcome Chris! Uh....what kind of room are you making down there? I have seen some nice basements become some very nice home theaters. Like, out of this world. Should be a show about this stuff--"Extreme Home Theaters in the Basement"--kinda show--maybe there is and I don't know about it! Heh.

So, what kinda of room you gonna have down there Chris?

Btw, it looks like a good start!

downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks Downright! The section where I started is apart from the rest so I was going to make that an office, then add a bathroom tucked behind the stairs. The rest will be an unfinished open loft type space. I am thinking a bar that could also serve as an efficiency kitchen complete with a 2 burner surface plate and mini dishwasher. The open area space I will likely use for a big TV room and then a fitness/weight room.

I have been researching so much on construction techniques that I have not decided on the finishing elements. I am also hopeful that I do not run out of money by then!

Chris
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsully View Post
Thanks Downright! The section where I started is apart from the rest so I was going to make that an office, then add a bathroom tucked behind the stairs. The rest will be an unfinished open loft type space. I am thinking a bar that could also serve as an efficiency kitchen complete with a 2 burner surface plate and mini dishwasher. The open area space I will likely use for a big TV room and then a fitness/weight room.

I have been researching so much on construction techniques that I have not decided on the finishing elements. I am also hopeful that I do not run out of money by then!

Chris
Mulaah, can be a deciding factor, no doubt!

The Boss, my husband, wants a game room. I told him to let me finish my girl cave first!

Good luck to you Chris. Hope it's smooth sailing for you.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

Yeah, I recently found myself with more free time than income (job loss), so I had the age old problem of time without money vs money without time. So I was able to but a bunch of materials from a local box store on credit and use my free time! It is also helpful that the US Govt is giving a $1,500 tax credit on energy savings materials like my insulation for my basement! So at this time I have only committed myself to spending the money to get to the roughed in stage of sheet rocked and sub floored. After that we will see what the budget says.

What do you want in your girl cave?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsully View Post
Yeah, I recently found myself with more free time than income (job loss), so I had the age old problem of time without money vs money without time. So I was able to but a bunch of materials from a local box store on credit and use my free time! It is also helpful that the US Govt is giving a $1,500 tax credit on energy savings materials like my insulation for my basement! So at this time I have only committed myself to spending the money to get to the roughed in stage of sheet rocked and sub floored. After that we will see what the budget says.

What do you want in your girl cave?
Well, the room is not that big. 10x10 without the closet space (6x2). It's the extra bedroom in the house. I want one corner to be cabinets/drawers/storage area(for my arts/crafts/sewing stuff), and the other side is my sitting/reading area with a sofa that comes out to a bed if needed. Directly in front of the sitting area is the closet.

Now, the closet is going to me all the electronics. An entertainment/computer/tv/stero area. I figure I can install shelving. The only thing is I wanted an electrical outlet in it, and I started a thread (Electrical Outlets in a closet ) here about that, but I'm going to think on that a while! I'd like to do it myself. But, everytime I start a project, here comes my husband thinking I'm going to hurt myself.

I have my plans laid out on paper (I'm an artist part time). I'd really like to do this myself or atleast try most of it myself. I'm sure I'll need some man power or an extra hand with the cabinets, but other than that kind of thing, I'd like to say I did this myself.

How large is your basement?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #7

I am by no means an electrician and depending on what you are doing you may want to consult one. Questions they will want to know are if you will be tying it into the breaker panel yourself or if you are tapping into an existing circuit. If you are tapping into an existing circuit, what else is on that circuit, you need to be sure that you are not popping breakers all the time.

My basement is 1700 Sq feet. My house is considered a ranch, so I have two bedrooms on the first floor including the master. Below is the floor plan and the basement is the same size except there is no basement under the Garage of course. Most of the space can be built out as the utilities do not rob much from the floor plan.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much figured I'd ask someone that knows.

You only have two bedrooms too, eh? So do we. Just the two of us now, so why more. But, the buyer's market says 3 bedrooms. I think that is why this house stayed on the market so long.

Our house was owned and built(1997) by an elderly couple. The house is pretty much handicaped accessible. I think the wife was handicapped. Which turned out to be a great thing for us as I have a handicap brother. It's so nice to have him over and he can wheel in and out.

We have been working off on this house since 2002! And it wasn't old then!

I'm not as bright as some of you guys doing these computer plans so I just took a picture of ours. HA!

Sorry. I just crashed your basement party! Let me just give this one bit of advice..........NEVER, I mean NEVER use those metal closet shelf kits! What a PITA those are to remove! Now I have to spackle the huge holes!
Attached Thumbnails
Hello - Basement Project - Grafton, MA-floorplan.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #9

I like the angled layout, that is cool! I actually only posted the first floor layout, I have three more bedrooms on the second floor. These plans were done by the Architect who made the house design, not by me!

I use those wire shelves all the time. The holes should be no bigger than a dime....
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

I guess an angled house is kinda nifty. It had to fit on a 2 ac. lot. I guess that was one way to get more feet for your money! And it's still not in HA codes for this sub. div. I guess we are grandfathered in. I'm not sure!

I got over the shelving drama. And it's back to work for me next week. But, I'll work on it along and along. The Boss isn't too keen on all my plastic tubs taking up space in the house and his garage! I'm usually the type of person that gets R done in atleast 2 days. Oh well! Heh.

Do you give yourself deadlines Chris? I find that I work better with them. Not saying I always beat them, but I try and set them!

Tags
basement finishing, introduction