Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

Hello all...

I'm living in a new house built by stoned monkeys. We're also on a remote island that boasts one trained contractor and a bunch of DIYers - none of whom think actually working more than 5 hours a day 2 days a week is acceptable.

Bottom line, if you want something done here, you do it yourself. Wish I'd found this forum months ago.

I have a few issues with a renovation...

dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #2

Hello all...

Welcome! Renovations we like, especially pictures of renovations. Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #3

Hello all...

Many years ago (not that many, really!) I was part of a General Maintenance team in an HRF (health related facility) When we had to deal with a backed up, 4", Horizontal sewer line which ran above the main dining room on the First floor. In one of the weaker moments I thought of opening the "clean-out" plug to clear the line. Lucky for me I didn't follow through on my "brainstorm". Had I done that, the "disaster" that would have ensued (not life-threatening, really but extremely unpleasant) would be enough to write a few books. So, the lesson to be learned is, that sometimes, when we venture outside our field of expertise, dangerous things can happen!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Hello all...

I've been on this island for almost two years now and I have learned a couple of things: Read all instructions. If the guy at the store sounds like he's talking out his a**, get a second opinion. Pressure tanks are called that for a reason. Hot water tanks are also under pressure. How To Serve Man is a cookbook. I am terrible at drywall.

I also learned that the table saw really a team sport. The guy next door took off a couple of fingers a few months ago and since then I only use mine if there's somebody else there... perhaps a little overcautious, but I like my fingers where they are. We don't have ambulances and when somebody leaves quickly EVERYBODY knows. Painful, permanently disfiguring AND embarrasing.

My husband gets mad because I don't wear work gloves, but other than that I'm pretty careful. I know my tools pretty well and I try not to venture out of my comfort zone. My project is almost done, I really just need help with some final touches... I'll be posting!

Last edited by dedrie77; 05-19-2009 at 12:00 PM.
dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote