Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello!

Hi all, My name is Jack, and I'm a civil engineer (or rather, EIT). My fiance and I bought our first house at the end of last year, and are now getting around to fixing it up. The house is a cape-cod bungalow with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and ~1500 ft^2. The front half of it was built in the 60 years ago and sits on a basement; the back half was built 10 years ago and has a crawlspace. The house is livable, but it's awkward and ugly and only 1 of the bathrooms is usable. I have a pretty huge list of projects planned:

1. The yard had eroded over the years, burying the patio on the side of the house and causing water to pool against the basement door when it rains. I'm going to dig out the patio and regrade the driveway to connect to it. I hope to repave the whole thing with pervious concrete.
  2. I want to knock a hole in the basement wall adjacent to said patio/driveway and put in garage doors so that I can park in the basement.
  3. The master bathroom consists of a single vanity, a toilet, and a jetted tub (no shower). They're all broken and ugly. I plan to gut the whole thing and put in a 5-piece master bath (with double vanity and separate tub and shower).
  4. The kitchen is awkwardly shaped (especially one of its entrances, which is too narrow), the cabinets are cheap and were thrown up haphazardly, and the tile floor is wavy and cracked. It's a gut-job.
  5. The hall bath is so small that you can literally wash your hands while sitting on the toilet (it's adjacent to that narrow kitchen entrance). It also has a crappy fiberglass tub and tub surround. I'm going to expand it by 1', replace the tub with a decent porcelain or cast-iron one and a tile surround, and move the toilet and vanity so that they're next to each other instead of across from each other.
  6. The house has no eaves, which bugs the heck out of me. Also, the front porch is too small (it extends about a third of the way across). I'm going to close in the existing porch (which is inexplicably built over the basement), build a new wooden porch across the rest of the front of the house, and extend the roof to not only cover the new porch but also give the house nice big eaves all the way around (not just for looks, but also for passive solar).
  7. I'm going to lay new hardwood floors throughout the house (most of it is nasty carpet right now).
  8. I plan to use eco-friendly methods and materials for all of the above, and maybe if I'm lucky, get Earthcraft certification when I'm done.
I'm sure there's more projects I forgot. At any rate, I'll be asking for a lot of advice around here as I work my way through that list!

I'll post pics and a floor plan of the house here sooner or later.

Last edited by JackG; 08-27-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: fixed typo
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

Hello!

Number 5 sounds like a plus. If you can wash your hands, you can probably also shave while sitting on the john.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Number 5 sounds like a plus. If you can wash your hands, you can probably also shave while sitting on the john.
Strangely enough, that's not a design priority for me...
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote