Greetings And Salutations - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Greetings and Salutations

After chugging my way through Cocobolo's wonderful Gulf Island Build and Shumakerscott's German House Rebuild along with asking a couple of questions I thought I would finally introduce myself a little bit.

I am an ex-US Army calibrator. I calibrated and repaired multimeters, oscilloscope, torque wrenches and other various test and measurement equipment. I am currently an engineering technician for a semi-conductor manufacturer, which means I basically help repair equipment and make small decisions when the engineers aren't there. That pretty much sums up my work experience, I have done a few small jobs while doing those two jobs.

I seem to have done a little bit of this and that. I've done computer programming and computer repair when I was in high school, and sadly I have gotten extremely out of touch with computers since then even though I help make the brain of them. I have also done a little bit of vehicle maintenance although the cars now a days are way too cramped and designed by insane mouse people.

On the handyman front I prefer to try and do things for myself first without calling a "professional." For plumbing I can fix a toilet, replace a garbage disposal, do caulking and clear some blocked pipes. Electrical I can replace a bad circuit breaker, change fixture and hang ceiling fans. I have hung dry wall(but no taping and mudding I left before that), painting of course, and now I have also laid laminate flooring.

I occasionally do SCA style camping, meaning I do medieval reactment revisioned, this isn't your typical commercialized renaissance fair. I have made my own armor by manipulating metal with hammers, although I have bad knees from my time in the army so I have issues with fighting in the heavy metal armor. I do enjoy playing video games. I am also trying to get certified for SCUBA diving but I just can't seem to find the time to complete my certification.

I have two places I primarily do work on. My home which is an end unit two story town home, built in 2002 using every possible shortcut and trick that the builders could use to get it done fast and pocket more money. I bought the place while I was a roommate in the place, a week later I met my now second wife. Through my now wonderful wife I also wind up working on the mother in laws mountain cabin that they have been building since the late 90's. Between my wife and I we have a total of 4 kids, 2 of mine from marriage #1 and 2 step-kids from my current wife.

Advertisement

avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Welcome! Glad to meet ya.

Josh

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
avengerki (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Calibrator? Don't you mean PMEL? I ran a calibration lab for 8 years....

Welcome....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
avengerki (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Calibrator? Don't you mean PMEL? I ran a calibration lab for 8 years....

Welcome....
PMEL is the Air Force, I was in the Army so it was TMDE. Sometimes I miss the simplicity and challenge I felt doing that.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Welcome---I sure would like to see a picture of the mountain cabin----Join right in---Mike---
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

Well Mike I went ahead and started a thread for the mountain cabin. I haven't done too much so far on it although plenty of plans. It also seems like I can't find most of the pics on the items I have done.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Sorry so excited I just had to share somewhere. A buddy of mine who just sold his house and has plans to travel and live in a 30' trailer home for the next year or so gave me his older 2.5HP 10" craftsman radial arm saw. I asked if he had a miter saw I could buy off him and he gives me a radial arm saw instead for free.

Of course my only issue with it is that I don't have a place to really put it. Right now I have it sitting on my small back patio under some plastic, it barely fits in my space back there. When he offered it to me I went online and happened to see a thing about a craftsman recall retrofit kit but at the time I didn't know what brand or model the RAS would be, sure enough I get it and it is one of the recall models so in a month or two I will have an upgraded safety shield and a brand new table. I have a feeling it was made in like 1992 or 1993 but hey it works.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
DIY staff

That's great! Those old Craftsman saws are solid work horses---lousy fence, but you can get used to that---radial arm saws are less helpful but,for free, that will make a good cross cut saw----

Spray it down with oil (WD40 or some such,to help keep the top and guts from rusting up---Mike------
avengerki (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
---radial arm saws are less helpful but,for free, that will make a good cross cut saw----
Just interested in why you say they are less helpful? I can understand from the lack of portability aspect.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
JOATMON

I have both a radial and compound miter....

The new sliding compound miters will do what a radial will do....and a lot easier....

If I was starting from scratch....I would go with a sliding compound miter....but in your case? Who could pass up a score like that.

Here are a couple of pics of my setup....my benches are not touching the ground....my miter has a pocket it sits in and share the rip fence with radial....I can cut a 16' board any where I want to with this setup.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
avengerki (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

Currently I am in an end unit townhome, in about another year the value and mortgage should be such that I can get out of this place and make the bank happy. I can then make the wife happy and get a place with a yard for our dog, and a workshop for me!!! Whenever I do get a place with a workshop my plan is to have it setup so that the rip fences can be shared like you ddawg. For now this little radial arm saw will have to do for me, and after I finish what I got it for put it in storage .

Greetings and Salutations-wp_20131120_001-1-.jpg
Greetings and Salutations-wp_20131120_002-1-.jpg
That is the extent of my backyard, and as you can tell the table just barely fits. I also see that I need to clean my concrete again.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
JOATMON

That is still a great score....BTW....don't be afraid to spend $50 or more on a blade....

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That is still a great score....BTW....don't be afraid to spend $50 or more on a blade....
Yep I was already expecting that, just have to make sure a new blade is in my budget when I get another blade. Actually I already was thinking of getting another blade with more teeth as that one is a 40 tooth.

Of course it took a lot of convincing of my wife before she would approve of me even getting a small air compressor and finish nailer.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
DIY staff

Saw blades---they come in different types--more teeth is not always best.

The radial arm saw is used for cross cutting--lots of teeth help with cross cuts.

Table saws are used for ripping mainly--a combination blade is best for that--or a ripping blade----these have fewer teeth and space for the long shreds of shavings that ripping produces. This blade will cut faster,with less burning and less board uplift.

Radial arm saws fell from favor with the invention of the miter saw. Radial arm saws take to much time to change settings---(and there is the safety issue)
They are nice to have around the shop as a dedicated cross cut saw.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 274

Nice work.

Advertisement

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote