Greetings - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Greetings

Hello All

I've been lurking in the shadows reading posts for awhile now and decided it's about time to register and join the fun. There is such a collection of knowledge and experience here that I'm looking forward to contributing to and learning.

I found this site while doing research for a large deck project that will probably swallow most of my summer. My experience is limited to projects for family, friends and neighbors, (repair, remodeling, landscaping, patios, small decks and sheds).

I live outside Philadelphia, PA in a 3-year old house that is begging for a beautiful and safe deck. Thanks in advance for all those who contribute here.

Advertisement

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Greetings

hello, and welcome to the forum.
what type deck/materials are you considering?

DM

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
hello, and welcome to the forum.
what type deck/materials are you considering?

DM
Thanks DangerMouse

I've run the gambit from PT to Ipe and composite to PVC. Everytime I think I've decided my mind wanders back to another. I narrowed it down to PT and Azek, but the railing just kills the budget with the Azek. The original design was ~20x15, but with PT I may just add another section of ~16x15.

I have a walk-out basement so it will be elevated ~9'. I have been planning for 2 years but never got the chance between having our first child , and a dog with cancer, $$$ has been short.

I still have a few holes in my design and also alot of questions in the category "how do I...." I'm very interested in hearing some best practices for building at this height, including getting the ledger in place, (I think I'm aware of the current codes on attaching and flashing and such), at that height. I was thinking of renting scaffolding for me and help and using temp. supports to help hold the 2x12 in place.

Along the house is ~23' so I was going to use a 2x12x20 ledger to avoid a seem. But for ease of installation and acquiring the extra ~45sq.ft., it may be best to break it up. 12' out to a double beam 2x12 and then 3' cantilever (clip the corners at 45s for some style points). A few pictures and drawings could eliminate the need for this babble, I'll post them when I'm allowed.

So much for a short post...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
the Musigician

Greetings

for that far of a single span, i'd go with LVLs, no need to break the view then.
i did my back porch in recycled ipey and australian jarrah, i love it.
Outside Baluster Spacing
i've just been using boiled linseed oil on it and it looks fantastic.
try google's 'sketchup' or similar and draw up a plan so we can see what you're up against.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Greetings-backsided.jpg  
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
Hello All

I've been lurking in the shadows reading posts for awhile now and decided it's about time to register and join the fun. There is such a collection of knowledge and experience here that I'm looking forward to contributing to and learning.

I found this site while doing research for a large deck project that will probably swallow most of my summer. My experience is limited to projects for family, friends and neighbors, (repair, remodeling, landscaping, patios, small decks and sheds).

I live outside Philadelphia, PA in a 3-year old house that is begging for a beautiful and safe deck. Thanks in advance for all those who contribute here.

Hello and Welcome to the site.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #6

Greetings

Thanks Atlantic.

DM, that wood looks great, well done. Seeing that makes me rethink not going with Ipe...my backyard gets full sun and I think it would take a pounding out there.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
the Musigician

Greetings

yup, the ipey is working out beautifully. i just went out and rinsed off the doggie footprints.
it survived the subzero weather very well.
if you get full sun, that just means you may need to mop on the oil twice a year instead of once.
here's a discussion we had recently on the ipey decking with some nice grain closeups i took.
IPE decking

DM

Advertisement