Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Greetings!

Hello All!

I've been lurking on the site for a while now seeking advice, but have decided to start a thread documenting my "journey."

I recently bought a new home... beautiful 3 BR rancher built in 1964. It's in a fantastic neighborhood, got it at a steal price for the neighborhood it's in. Came with lots of perks. Original hardwood floors throughout, original cabinets, original countertop (with built in blender motor thing that's rusted out). Possibly original washer+dryer in the basement. Fridge from the early 90s. Approximately 20-30 years of double resident extremely heavy smoker crud encrusted in the walls, and ceiling and about everywhere else. On the bright side... the owner couldn't use the stairs... so there is very little smoke residue in the basement. Nor was she aware the basement washer and dryer (she had a stacked set installed in the master bath) was leaking water. Or that the basement door drain was clogged and the carpet in the basement was flooding every time it rained. We inherited a minor roof leak from the brick chimney over the fireplace in the living room (fairly noticeable from the clean streaks where the water ran down the wall and purged the nicotine.) And thats about it off the top of my head.

I come from a mostly computer heavy background and can do almost anything in the digital world. I've got a minor construction background and am pretty much comfortable doing anything... except maybe roofing. Well I've done some copper plumbing before, but very little and it was 11 years ago so I'm a little nervous about it. My wife likes to say I was born with the "tool gene."

I'm planning to start an overall thread to chart the progress of my house, but wanted to introduce myself first. I actually started work on the house a couple weeks ago, but have been taking photos along the way. When I get that thread setup, I'll start populating it with examples of the little charm I'm dealing with.

-DH

DigitalHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Greetings!

Welcome to the site! Enjoy, partake, answer...

Gary