Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Thumb Banger

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Good morning

Good morning from upstate New York.
My father passed away in May 2011 and I inherited my boyhood home. My father fancied himself a bit of a handy man, and while there wasn't too much he was afraid of when it came to doing things around the house, he had a tendency to do things his way. He'd go out and buy a book on plumbing, let's say, read it, even follow it to a degree, but in the end he usually did things the way he thought they should be done. Whether to make it quicker, easier or cheaper I'm not sure, but much of what he did all those years ago needs to be redone. Don't get me wrong; I'm proud of how he'd tackle any problem, tool box in his hand, flashlight in mine. But I distinctly recall him saying, "That's ok. We'll be long gone by the time anyone has to worry about it."

Well, Dad, almost.

My first task is to figure out just what needs to be done. I know I want to replace the old aluminum windows, I know I want to tear out the old sheetrock and I think I want to fir out the walls to hold thicker insulation. I know I have to redo the bathroom and I think I want to put a new tub in there, one of those fancy ones with jets. I know I want to replace the downstairs floor. I'd like to take out much of the carpet. The house has that old paper insulation on the wiring in the old part, so I'd like for that to be gone. The problem is I don't know what order in which to do it all.
I have some construction experience. Years ago I was one of those guys who, being out of work, grabbed a hammer and toolbelt and went to work building houses and doing renovations. I was pretty good at it, sort of. But that was 20+ years ago. I see where this is going... I'm going to buy a book, read it, and hopefully do it right. The nice thing is it doesn't matter. I can knock holes in the wall if I want. Feels kinda nice knowing that. I'm big now, I can do what I want.

Recently I knocked down an old chimney. There is no wood behind it. None. There's alot of rot and dirt. Sills gone, studs gone, sheathing gone. At least it was only a block chimney so the damage isn't that widespread.

Anyway, I see this has gotten pretty long. I'm glad I found this forum. I'm sure you'll be seeing my name pop up asking a lot of stupid questions.

I just realized this is my second post in introductions... so when I figure it out I'll delete it...

Last edited by scroff; 06-29-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot...
scroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 0

Good morning

Hello and Welcome.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
scroff (06-29-2012)