Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

Share |

First time homeowner

Just made the plunge and purchased our first home! We are not even in it yet, but we have big plans and could use all the help we can get!

Its a 2br,2bath with a 3rd unfinished bedroom in the basement. The basement has a storage room, laundry room and a large family style room.

The upstairs has 2brs an old and outdated bathroom, living, kitchen and awkward dining space.

We have a newer 26X26 2 door garage and a city lot sized yard.

We cant wait to get in and start upgrading. We are on a tight budget, but we want to make the home ours.

Where can I post to say "hey I need ideas on what do do with this space?" Thanks

Ryderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

First time homeowner

Congratulations and Welcome.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

First time homeowner

Welcome
All depends on what you need help with. Look before posting to see what area you have a question on. Not going to do you any good if your posting a roofing question in the plumbing area.
DO not fall into the first time home owner syntrom.
The frilly stuff can wait.
Anytime someone buys a less then brand new house it's almost always going to have important issues that will need to be addressed that will save you money and time later on.
Start at the roof, check the condition of the roof and make sure there's no missing shingles, leaking vent flashings, rusted out chimney flashing.
Check the gutters to make sure they not saging of cloged up.
Check all the siding.
If a house is not water tight and it's leaking it will distory all your hard work later on the inside.
Attic air sealing and proper amount of insulation and proper instulation, plus venting is very important to save on heating a cooling cost and the life of the roof.
Old leaking windows can cost you a ton of money in extra heating and cooling cost.
Air leaks around the doors.
If you fix these things first you'll end up with money as long as you own the house.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

First time homeowner

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new home!
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
JOATMON

First time homeowner

Welcome Ryderr....

I know how you feel....but some advice....live in it for awhile before you start on projects. Both of the house on either side of me changed hands this past year...in both cases the new owners made major upgrades before moving in. What they did great....but....they also have said the same thing...."We should have moved in first, then figured out what we wanted."

In other words....they now wish they had done a couple of things different.

So move in....start enjoying your house....and start saving money.....a few things you will learn...

1. It will cost more than you think

2. It will take longer than you think

3. Just about any project will create dirt.

4. And....no wall is straight.

Oh....and go buy a good shop vac....your going to need one...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

First time homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderr View Post
.....Where can I post to say "hey I need ideas on what do do with this space?" Thanks
Try Here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f50/
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Tool Geek

First time homeowner

Welcome to the Forum
It is a good idea to include your location in your profile.
Also check out how to Post pictures in the How To section.

To add your location to your profile see more How-To
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #8

First time homeowner

Thanks for the advice guys. Trust me we have a priority list and the windows are the first to be upgraded. Otherwise we are sitting pretty good as far as siding and roofing goes. Since we are moving in the winter we are going to find the leaks fast. All of our windows are tight, but the will need to be replaced as the previous owner painted shut. Insulation was all replaced in the attic about 5 years ago. We are going to update as we go along, the bathroom is outdated and the basement shower leaks so the bathrooms are a priority right now.

Any tips on finding good deals on construction materials? I have been scoping menards value wood section for trim. One time I bought a ton of trim for 29 cents/ board and it was beautiful. I didnt use it for trim, but of course I wont find a deal like that when I need it ha ha. I am also going to scope out online sites like craigslist for used builiding materials to update and save $.

We are planning on being in this home for a while, but this is not our forever home.

Last edited by Ryderr; 11-15-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added pics
Ryderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
JOATMON

First time homeowner

You have a garage (which will be full in no time)

Bathroom looks good....(much better than ours did)....the mirror is loosing some of its backing at the bottom....easy fix....install moulding around the outside of the mirror. Hides the 'blemish' and makes it look 100% better....that is what I did to mine.....just make sure you use real wood (MDF will fall apart with the moisture)...prime and paint both sides....attach with RTV

Here is a pic of mine....

I do wood working as a hobby....I made the bathroom cabinet....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote