Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

Share |

Finally decided to jump in and join.

Hi everybody.

I'm a retired dad of three (including a Wounded Warrior). I have been sitting here at my computer thinking about re-painting everything inside and outside my three-story Victorian (built in 1870) and all the little repairs that go along. I have finally wizened up (is that a real word?), and decided not to use the cheapest paint I could find (I pledge never to buy paint at Big Lots again).

Just looking for ideas, suggestions, opinions, etc. I was surprised though at all the heated discussions concerning brands. Sort of like debates between political parties. I actually thought Behr and Glidden were "good" paints!

What else do I do in my free time (which is 24/7)? I am the administrator of an Army family support board (have been since 2006), having been an Army veteran and a dad of of one.

JohnKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
the Musigician

Glad you decided to join us! I've actually used BigLots paint and it worked fine. But the painters who contribute here all have their opinions on which paint is the best, but it tends to be mostly SW and BM as the pro favorites.

DM

Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
STAFF

John, it is good to have you with us, when I saw you own an antique home, that got my attention, I spent 15 years of my career doing restoration work in antique homes, the oldest being built in 1822. Jump on in and join us.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
John, it is good to have you with us, when I saw you own an antique home, that got my attention, I spent 15 years of my career doing restoration work in antique homes, the oldest being built in 1822.
Well, that's got mine beat. In researching my home's history, I spent a lot of time in the historical section of the local library. One day, I was going through a series of turn-of-the-century magazines, sort of like Kansas City's version of House Beautiful. In one issue was a series of photos taken in my neighborhood, when all of a sudden I let out a yell, startling everyone near me. There was a photo and description of my home in a 1906 edition of the magazine. They let me make a photo copy of that page.

Found out that the house was built by a lumber baron and city councilman. It was only the second house built in that part of the city.

And thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnKC For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hello and Welcome to the DIY Chatroom.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKC View Post
Well, that's got mine beat. In researching my home's history, I spent a lot of time in the historical section of the local library. One day, I was going through a series of turn-of-the-century magazines, sort of like Kansas City's version of House Beautiful. In one issue was a series of photos taken in my neighborhood, when all of a sudden I let out a yell, startling everyone near me. There was a photo and description of my home in a 1906 edition of the magazine. They let me make a photo copy of that page.

Found out that the house was built by a lumber baron and city councilman. It was only the second house built in that part of the city.

And thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.
That is really neat, I know it would have taken my breath had I been in your shoes. It is kinda strange that you said that because I was doing a search on Ralph Lauren Tea Stain and clicked on images and of all things there were our kitchen cabinets as illustrations, kinda took me by surprise. By the way, the tea stain is a wood aging/ antique type stain. It has the patina of a commercially stripped antique door or trim.

I love the history of the old homes, it was an honor to work on a home that some of the old time true craftsmen worked on. The sad part is many of the craftsmen way back then were slaves.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
DIY staff

Welcome--- Jiju---Slaves? Interesting. I love the antique houses,too.

That would be an interesting bit of history to read.

John---I think you will enjoy your time here---Mike----
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #8

Welcome, John. I've been on the forum for 6 months, and it's great. You'll find any advice you need here.

I grew up in an 1886 house here in Superior, WI, built by the Weeks family (on Weeks Avenue no less). My parents added a family room in 1991, during which they found a metal box in the counterweight space of a bedroom window. It had receipts, journals, and drawings from the original construction. My parents also found lots of interesting records in the title abstract, including records of dinner parties for the bigwigs at the University of Wisconsin Superior. The coolest thing to me was information about the installation if the 'automatic feed coal burner' for the boiler, a conveyor belt that fed coal from the coal room to the boiler.

I bought a 1914 American Craftsman 8 months ago, and my own sort of 'restoration' will begin soon. Still trying to find records of this property, but the trail ends with a deed transfer in 1933. The house was sold for $1.

I look forward to reading your posts in the future, I'll be painting mine next summer.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKC View Post
In researching my home's history, I spent a lot of time in the historical section of the local library. One day, I was going through a series of turn-of-the-century magazines, sort of like Kansas City's version of House Beautiful. In one issue was a series of photos taken in my neighborhood, when all of a sudden I let out a yell, startling everyone near me. There was a photo and description of my home in a 1897 edition of the magazine. They let me make a photo copy of that page.
Here's the scan of that photo >

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnKC For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
the Musigician

YAY! I was hoping you'd post the photo here for us to see.

Beautiful....

DM