Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Share |

Diy queen

I moved into my first newly built home 13 1/2 years ago. Scared, intimidated, and refusing to call it "home" for about a year. My other home was "home"; this was just "my house". I didn't even sleep there until about the 4th week in. It was just a strange place that I happened to own the key and entry rights to.

And it all started with a programmable thermostat........

Was scared to death to install it in place of the cheap builder's piece of crap. It was a cold October. If I screwed it up, it was going to be a VERY cold weekend. Don't laugh, but I think it took me about 4 hours to do it. After intense reading of the directions, which really didn't make much sense to me to begin with, I had to put on my big girl panties and give it a try.

Low and behold, it was a piece of cake! I just laughed at myself for the fact that it sat purchased and in the package for almost 2 months before I got up the courage to try it.

Ever since, I have become the DIY QUEEN......bow to me gentlemen....lol

I can do painting, tiling, electrical, plumbing, carpentry.....with the exception of wiring a house, painting my cathedral height ceiling/walls, or replacing a roof (yes, I know my limits), there's little that I'm afraid of doing. I caught the bug in my late 20's, and I just can't stop even now that I'm in my 40's. It's like an intense disease. I can't wait to start the next project! In fact it pisses me off that I can't paint my foyer walls myself. Of course I equate hiring someone to do it for me with buying life insurance. It was worth every penny the first time around, and will be worth it again (yikes!!-- don't fall!!!!!).

I'm an intense perfectionist so everything takes me 5 times as long as it does the "pros", but there isn't one project that I've done that I haven't been able to pat myself on the back for. They know me by name at my local Lowe's store-- no kidding-- they greet me by name. In fact, one time the greeter introduced me to his buddy because I needed some help with a project. He told him not to mess with me; that I "knew my stuff". They're great people over there.

I've seriously had a ton of contractors that have come into the house (for repairs or quotes,etc) that are truly impressed with some of my work. Maybe it's because I'm a girl??? Hmmmm.....lol Or maybe it's just that damn good! Either way, I'll continue to take their honest compliments with a smile.

Thank you for having this web site. Just learned about, and have the feeling I'm going to love it!

gardendoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Diy queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendoc4 View Post
I have become the DIY QUEEN......bow to me gentlemen....lol

Welcome to the club!

gardendoc4 (04-19-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Diy queen