Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

DIY Girl with her own, old house

Hi, All! :-)

I'm on my own in StL, living in my first house. I bought it cheap and it needed a lot of work. After 6 years, and many life battles to distract me, it still needs a whole lot more. I love the place, though, and won't give up until it's gorgeous!
I'm learning woodworking from scratch, as a hobby, and learning everything else as I go! It's a struggle, but I love it.

...and that's my DIY life...

GertieCraign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Sounds great. You should enjoy all you can learn on this forum. Welcome!

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Old houses get you that way. Good luck. To me there is nothing like bring an old cutie back to life.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #4

I've been working on ours for nearly 10 years -- on and off -- it never ends.

One word of advice: If it's a tool you'll use regularly, don't skimp on quality. Especially saws and screwdrivers.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
One word of advice: If it's a tool you'll use regularly, don't skimp on quality. Especially saws and screwdrivers.
I would take it one step further. If it's a tool you use at all do not skimp on quality!!! And remember, next to cheap ladders, most people are hurt doing projects with tools that were intended to be sharp and not overused and dull.

My Craftsman screwdriver set dates back to a girlfriend who gave me a more complete toolbox for Christmas than you can imagine by the way. 1976 or something. She worked for Sears. I use the screwdrivers appropriately but know if I ever did break one I could get it replaced.

I've added things to it over the years but never anything cheap.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would take it one step further. If it's a tool you use at all do not skimp on quality!!!
I kind of agree, but sometimes you just need something to do one particular job and a $2 tool will get it done just as well as a $200 tool. In cases like that I'll take the cheap option.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

Smile

Thanks, everyone!

I try to buy the best quality I can, but there are a couple of things I've skimped on. For instance, I bought an impact drill from Harbor Freight, knowing that it might not last past the very few uses I had for it at the time. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized it is still holding up, but I consider any other uses I get out of it to be 'gravy'. The rest of my tools are quality, and as many as I have been able to afford are built to be ergonomic and low impact on the arms. I'm a big wuss and my body gets pretty mad at me when I shake it up too much. I ain't as strong as I used to be! Oh no...I'm getting old!!! lol
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

It's a "roll of the dice" with China Freight tools as to how long they'll hold up. I've got a couple of things I bought as "throw away" for a one or two time use that are still around. As stated above though, things you'll be using a lot will be worth spending an extra dollar on.....
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

then again it depends on what the term" using alot" means; for instance i'll use a cheap saw if im just using it to cut up alot scrap for the garbadge can . ill use a cheap level to set beads cause all i need is the straight edge were as ill use a better level if im using it for leveling.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #10
Wood Butcher

Welcome from Tx.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
then again it depends on what the term" using alot" means; for instance i'll use a cheap saw if im just using it to cut up alot scrap for the garbadge can . ill use a cheap level to set beads cause all i need is the straight edge were as ill use a better level if im using it for leveling.
So carry two? Since the good one cannot make that straight edge. The only reason for cheap tools is to sell them to those that do not need to make a living with tools.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
So carry two? Since the good one cannot make that straight edge. The only reason for cheap tools is to sell them to those that do not need to make a living with tools.
Or those who do not listen to us who do. And I was wondering whether I would ever trust myself, even on occasional use, to something like say...

A $2 or even a $2 off box store chain saw blade that goes dull or stretches more than usual after a few minutes. I rather like having both hands so far in life. I guess a warped and locking up on you circular saw blade could get through a stack of scrap for the trash can, dragging the motor as it chunks along.

Used to cost me about $2-5 to pay the sharpener in town to balance, sharpen and retip (if necessary) blades, bits and even kitchen knives. He finally folded since the box store purveyors of cheap blades won.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
I kind of agree, but sometimes you just need something to do one particular job and a $2 tool will get it done just as well as a $200 tool. In cases like that I'll take the cheap option.
Your price comparison is extreme but I agree. I buy cheap foam brushes for quick touch up or when I know I cannot justify cleaning the material out of them. I sometimes need a drywall type taping knife for icky stuff like roof tar and at least the quality, but cheap, plastic things hold up for that.

I do not compromise on things that could melt, spin apart, fall off or break in some fashion that could hurt me though. As mentioned, I like both hands, both eyes and so forth.

Painting is what I do most these days and it just makes my heart sink when I see people buying bags of brushes for $5 when they need a couple at $15 each to do a decent job. Of course they are the same people that would not worry about any tool I suppose. Easier to toss them and replace them than to take care of them.

Last edited by user1007; 12-20-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Your price comparison is extreme but I agree. I buy cheap foam brushes for quick touch up or when I know I cannot justify cleaning the material out of them. I sometimes need a drywall type taping knife for icky stuff like roof tar and at least the quality, but cheap, plastic things hold up for that.

I do not compromise on things that could melt, spin apart, fall off or break in some fashion that could hurt me though. As mentioned, I like both hands, both eyes and so forth.

Painting is what I do most these days and it just makes my heart sink when I see people buying bags of brushes for $5 when they need a couple at $15 each to do a decent job. Of course they are the same people that would not worry about any tool I suppose. Easier to toss them and replace them than to take care of them.

I agree that pintbrushes are another place where you just can't skimp on quality.

When I was needing a framing nail gun I looked at all the well made ones, and they were $200+. I got one at Harbor Freight for $75 or so. It's not as high a quality as the good ones. It weighs a lot more. But it does the job.

As Bob said, if you're trying to make a living at it, then the best quality makes sense. Since this is a DIY forum, there are probably many people who won't ever make any money with their tools.

I use a cheap chisel when I'm carving into studs that might have nails in them. I use a cheap hammer when I'm beating on things that will tear up the face. I have a cheap Ryobi router because I only use it once every couple years. I have a cheap Ryobi band sander for the same reason, and a super cheap Skill jig saw that I almost never use. I have a cheap "large" size caulk gun because I only got it to use for subfloor glue on one project.

There are also times when I fabricate a single use tool -- especially if it's likely to be damaged in the course of using it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Welcome from Tx.
Thanks, robin303! :-)

Tags
first house, girl, old house, st louis, woman