DIY All The Way! - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

DIY all the way!

A hundred posts, I think it's about time to say hi. We're a family of 6 that moved to the Chicago suburbs in 2008. Since then we've done tons of work on our house -- most notably and famous among our friends for our back yard treehouse / zip line. See for yourself!

www.sims-family.net/treehouse

This summer the treehouse is on hold while we do some remodeling in our basement. The goal was to have the work done in two months, but seeing as we're now 3 months into it and only about half-way done, I don't put too high a likelihood on meeting that goal. I don't have pics to show of the basement yet, tho that'll be next.

At our last house we did our biggest home remodel project ever, a full-on addition - taking our 1800 sf house up to 2100 sf and adding a master suite, closet and luxurious bathroom - as well as rebuilding the kitchen from scratch.

Other projects we've worked on in the past include our Coffee Table Train...

www.sims-family.net/rr

I built this because we looked everywhere for a 2' x 4' recessed window coffee table, inside which I could build an N-Scale train layout. The coffee table has stood up to 12 years of use and 4 kids since we made it -- but to this day the train layout inside has barely progressed.

Besides building with wood, we're also insane LEGO builders...

http://www.sims-family.net/lego/airport/airport.htm

I spend a lot of time researching for every project -- I found this forum and have really come to like the atmosphere and general helpfulness of the other ppl here - other DIY'ers and pros alike. Everyone seems really helpful and genuinely interested in sharing their knowledge.

I have no actual construction background, tho I'd say we've done more than a typical homeowner. So I offer advice when I think I know something. Always remember I'm not a pro so what I've learned is simply by researching and practicing. I'm particularly interested in the remodeling and electrical forums and hang out a lot there.

Happy building!
-mike

Advertisement

Last edited by SquishyBall; 05-03-2013 at 12:15 AM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

DIY all the way!

You're tree house project is quite impressive!
All I've got is a tire swing

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

DIY all the way!

Love the tree house!!!

I never got past building a platform----Welcome----Mike-----
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

DIY all the way!

Hey squishy can you email me bigjerry916@Yahoo.com I want to ask you more questions and possibly if you can send more pictures of your garage. I can't pm you because I haven't hit my 15 post.
bigjerry916 is offline   Reply With Quote