Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Deck

I was wondering is there a stain that keeps deck cool when you walk on it.

3dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Deck

Not going to happen. If you want it cooler your going to have to add a roof or awning.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Deck

What is a good rich color for a large deck..Is it good to do railing one color floor different. We always go with that red. I like lighter color now they say to keep it light so it is not as hot as dark color.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Deck

That's always been true nothing new about that fact.
I have not stained a deck that redwood color in at least 10 years. Very old school.
Your problum will be is once you have used that dark stain there's just no way to now make it lighter.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's always been true nothing new about that fact.
I have not stained a deck that redwood color in at least 10 years. Very old school.
Your problum will be is once you have used that dark stain there's just no way to now make it lighter.
It is a new deck
Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6

Deck

It is a new deck.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Deck

Just how new is it? Pressure treated wood has to completly dry out before any finish can be applyed, In most cases it's a min. of 3 months if you live in a dry area.
Try to seal it to soon and you will be fighting mold on that deck the rest of the time you own it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #8

Deck

The inspector came out today to ok it. He said to do it right away because the wood is drying out. We just put it on he said the boards are shrinking already. We live in MA
Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

Deck

The inspector came out today to ok it. He said to do it right away because the wood is drying out. We just put it on he said the boards are shrinking already. We live in MA
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

Deck

Then he has no clue what he's talking about. Of cource it's shrinking, that's what happens when the wood drys out.
Unless you built it out of kiln dryed after teatment wood you should have seen water coming out of it as it was cut and pooling up as the screws went in from water being forced out of the wood. Plus it's been raining up there a lot this year, right?
Ha it's your deck you can do as you want to, I've only been in the business for well over 30 years and have built a couple hundred decks so what do I know.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #11

Deck

Sorry I went to bed I am going to tell my friend and see what he says. You are right the builder also says that. Thank You so much will get back joecaptain
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

Deck

When do you think we should treat the deck with stain, or what would you do . Thank you for this info I do appreciate it. Thanks again
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #13

Deck

I used to live in NH and a company I used to work for did some work in MA. (as little as possible)
We had to deal with some of those so called building inspectors.
In your area I would not do a thing until early Sept if it was mine. And only then if it had not been raining.
What your going to find is some of the boards are going to curl, cup, twist and check.
All normal when working with pressure treated wood. This will give you a chance to replace any bad ones before sealing them.
When I have the chance I have the materials delivered and lay them out according to size and let them sit out in the sun for about a week.
This way I'm not as likly to be using lumber that's going to curl up once it's installed. It's not uncommon for me to reject a bare min. of 10 % of the materials delivered.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #14

Deck

Thank you so much, this has been very good info wish we knew about this before we built the deck. Happy I found the chat room.

PS what are the richest colors that you do more on the natural side is it better to see grain of wood or stain them so you don't see them. There are two kinds of stains I believe. Thank you so much again.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #15

Deck

Thank you so much, this has been very good info wish we knew about this before we built the deck. Happy I found the chat room.

PS what are the richest colors that you do more on the natural side is it better to see grain of wood or stain them so you don't see them. There are two kinds of stains I believe. Thank you so much again.