DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

College student learning about construction

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cellophane 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm a 22 year old college student at the University of Tennessee - Chattanooga. I've recently switched my major to Construction Management in hopes of becoming a project manager when I graduate. Unfortunately I know very little about construction at the moment, but with taking the classes, reading books on my own time, and reading on the internet (such as this site), I'm hoping to rapidly increase my knowledge base. This summer I'm hoping to do some kind of co-op or internship to also help me pick up on things.

#3 ·
Habitat is a great way to get experience! I can also say that the more hands on experience you can get the better off you will be once you get a job. My local Habitat group starts up in mid-March - if you are interested start asking around now.

I graduated 4 years ago with a degree in architecture and had absolutely no clue how a building is actually built. I can draw them all day long but up until very recently if you set me at a job site I wouldn't know where to begin outside of the most basic of things. Drawing a line on a page is a lot different than fastening Tyvek to a building.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.