Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Caulking Guru

Rewards Points: 10

Caulking manufacturer in the house!

Hey all! I'm Charis w/ Sashco. We manufacture caulking products for conventional construction (Big Stretch & Lexel are two names you might recognize), as well as stains & caulks for wood & log homes.

Have no fear - I'm not here to sell! I'm only here to answer questions about which I might know a little something. I'm not even in sales, so my sales skills aren't all that great....

I actually enjoy helping & am looking forward to learning from some of you all, too.

Cheers!

Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com

CharisB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharisB For This Useful Post:
GFRC (09-15-2010), Tom Struble (09-16-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

Hello Charis,
I am Corey with GFRC Construction and I do a lot of exterior EIFS and GFRC. I normally have about 1/2" to 3/4" caulk joint with the EIFS and GFRC material to caulk. In the past I have not included the caulking, but lately I have been including it to get more jobs. But to caulk a 3/4" joint is not too as easy as most think as you already know. Can you give me a good way to get an excellent looking caulk joint and still be quick doing it.
Thanks for your time
Corey
GFRC Construction

Last edited by GFRC; 09-15-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: missed a word
GFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Caulking Guru

Hey, Corey. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was out of town last week. (Vaca in Nebraska...not the Bahamas, but vaca nonetheless!) Those 1/2" joints aren't too bad, but depending on what you're using, those 3/4" joints can be a pain. It will depend on what you're using what will make work go faster. With our solvent-based caulks, we usually recommend you use either soapy water or mineral spirits with a finger or foam brush to tool. Both will make the work go faster & you'll end up with less on your fingers. With latex caulks, using an alcohol and water mix to mist the caulk with will increase the working time, especially in warm weather, and keep it from frosting over in cooler weather. Are you using a backer rod behind those joints? That, too, will make work go faster, as you'll be using less caulk overall, which means less to tool. But having the proper liquids for whatever you're using makes the work less messy since you have less material to tool.

Does that help a bit? If you let me know what product you normally use, I can help you a bit more. Urethane caulks & butyl caulks are always a pain to tool, no matter what you use....
CharisB is offline   Reply With Quote