Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ac

my evaporator coil in being replaced in the attic with 13 seer, but the compressor unit outside is not. they say there are lines that switch the dirfferent refrigerant over. does this all make sense?

my 8 ser evaporator coil in the attic is being replaced with a 13 seer, but the compressor unit outside is still going to be a 8 seer. i was told they would be compatible except for efficiency. they said the refrigerant although different will be okay b/c the lines will switch over as needed. is this true?

2 threads on same issue merged

jane6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Ac

I'm hoping you misunderstood what the installers are going to do. They can install a new evaporator coil that is rated for R-410A without changing from R-22 refrigerant while still using the existing condensing unit. I say this with the assumption that your current system is using R-22.

If, as you stated they are going to change refrigerant type, I would assume that they would be changing from R-22 to R-410A, and if that was the case the condensing unit would need to be changed. Systems using R-410A refrigerant must be able withstand much higher pressures than R-22 systems and they also use a different type of oil.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-23-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote