Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

2006 Home Falling Apart

Hello,

I purchased a home a year ago which was built in 2006. The problem is walls are cracking and nails are backing out of walls both upstairs and downstairs. I have talked with neighbors and they too are having the same issues. It doesn't seem like these homes are built very. It concerns me because in another 5 years, what is going to happen. What can a homeowner do to get these problems fixed and who is responsible? Is the builder responsible? If I have to fix the problems, what is the best way to do this so it doesn't happen again?

Lenz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
the Musigician

2006 Home Falling Apart

HI and welcome to the forum.

Pictures would help.

DM

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

2006 Home Falling Apart

It is hard to say if the builder will step up to the plate. A new house will always settle some, kinks shake out, but it sounds like there is more than just kinks. You being the second owner, I am not sure if the builder will give you any compensation even if he (or she) is still in business. That would be my first recommendation, find the builder and see if they stand behind their work. The issues you are bringing up will be best answered under different categories on this site. I would post questions under drywall and the painting sections of the site which address your specific questions.

We are glad to see new members to the site and we also hate to see all the problems people run into. There are many great contributors to this site that will help make your house better for you. For example:

Nails backing out of the wall: aka nail pops:

If I have quite a few nail pops I use drywall screws--one above the nail pop and one below to anchor the drywall to the stud. Nails will back out--screws will not. Then with a hammer drive the nail pop flush with the surface (please dont ding the drywall to much. just a nice gentle tap). Once the screws are in and the nails are reset, skim coat with joint compound (which may shrink some on the first coat, second coat as needed) sand smooth, PRIME prior to painting, then paint the whole wall.

I am only giving what I would do for Nail Pops. There are so many others that will give their best advice once you do your postings under the category that best fits your problem.

I hope for the best for you in your new home and know that we are here to help!!!!!!

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

2006 Home Falling Apart

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote