Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |

2 Week Anniversary here today!

Hey Everyone-

I'm glad I'm introducing myself after a couple weeks of getting a lay of the land here. What such wonderful, helpful people you are! I began DIY more than 25 years ago as a newlywed. In those days it was DIY or not at all when it came to nonessentials. It was a financial thing. Now, all these years later, it is an absolute labor of love. A passion. I've mentioned a couple times that I am female. The fact is that there are some power tools that require a bit more behind them than my 120 pounds. The rule of thumb for me, is that I only do jobs that I know will have professional results. Maybe most importantly, I know my limits with electrical and never push beyond what I know. I think this area is best left to the professionals beyond a certain point. Not an area to experiment. Wood and drywall are forgiving. Electricity isn't!

The flip side is, that as a female I can offer some secret weapons for wood working that many guys don't know about. Beauty Supply stores. Sanding blocks, a tiny pointed file that is indestructable, disposable gloves in bulk dirt cheap, 100% acetone at a better price in easier to use containers. Drop cloths, shop paper towels, and terry cloths in bulk. Also soft waxes and emollients that are not seen in traditional hardware stores. Also heavy duty hand cleaner and disinfectants. Sally Beauty Supply is open to the public and is nationwide. There is also an excellent selection of shaving and skin products, hair products and great inexpensive products for men that you can't find anywhere else. I also buy unscented shampoo and conditioner for oily hair that I use on my Purdy brushes. I've noticed that some painters allow their brushes to become rigid from paint deposits but I prefer to keep mine in brand new condition, Products for oily hair leave no deposits on the brushes. Speaking of brushes, I buy natural boar hair brushes in various sizes for a gentle but thorough brush that works as a great sander for joint compound and a zillion other purposes. I could go on and on.

These days I'm heavily into repurposing, refinishing, and customizing wood pieces in practical, functional ways while showcasing natural wood grain. I also build many pieces. Last year I made a day bed in natural solid cherry. It was by far my most technically difficult piece with a platform with concealed storage drawers.

My achilles heel in this playground is terminology. Since I'm self taught, I am green when it comes to identifying the process I'm performing. Sounds ridiculous, I know. I thank you in advance for putting up with me!

Last edited by PCMLR; 10-21-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
DIY staff

2 Week Anniversary here today!

You have the spirit of the true DIY er----My dad used to say,"I'm as smart as that guy. If he can do it then so can I."----Keep having fun----Mike----

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote