Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Administrator

Share |
Lightbulb

Yup! It's Feedback Friday!

Yup! It's Feedback Friday!-feedback.jpg

It's Feedback Friday!

I know we have come a long way in the last few months but I am always looking for ways we can improve things even more for the community.

I want to open things up for your feedback on ways we can improve things for you in the community. I can't promise that I can implement everything we request but I do promise to listen and see which things we CAN do something about. Now before you bring up ads in the community, please know that is one of those things we can't change unless they are breaking the site somehow. Ads and sponsors are what keeps the lights on here.

What do you feel we could do to make this an even stronger community?

Join DIY on Facebook today!
facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

I will suggest that you think several times before you introduce any more "controversial" subjects.

Case in point that death penalty topic, I was present in it's entirety on the day of the dust up between two other members, a couple of us newbies tried to admonish them for their tirade, but it took one of your moderators to shut them down.

That said I believe that we all live and learn, so maybe you can call it a learning experience and keep this forum to what is should be . a D I Y room to get and give advice on doing it yourself projects.

I am trying to not insult you as I do not know you that well to pass judgment , and condemn you for a little mistake.

And I do appreciate that you are trying to expand our worlds to what is going on in the world.

But I need not to be a witness to some immature adults throwing insults at each other over a controversial topic such as that.

ED

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
I will suggest that you think several times before you introduce any more "controversial" subjects.

Case in point that death penalty topic, I was present in it's entirety on the day of the dust up between two other members, a couple of us newbies tried to admonish them for their tirade, but it took one of your moderators to shut them down.

That said I believe that we all live and learn, so maybe you can call it a learning experience and keep this forum to what is should be . a D I Y room to get and give advice on doing it yourself projects.

I am trying to not insult you as I do not know you that well to pass judgment , and condemn you for a little mistake.

And I do appreciate that you are trying to expand our worlds to what is going on in the world.

But I need not to be a witness to some immature adults throwing insults at each other over a controversial topic such as that.

ED
Thank you for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

This is something I will be monitoring.

One of the biggest differences between a site being a community or just a forum are the off topic discussions. Controversial issues are part of our everyday lives. We are all adults. We should be able to discuss topics in a respectful manner. If we have members who are unable to do so, (or choose not to) then they should not participate in these discussions.

One solution for members who have no desire to take part in these discussions is to simply ignore the section altogether.

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Still getting ads covering some of the posts.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

One solution for members who have no desire to take part in these discussions is to simply ignore the section altogether.

My solution exactly, I decided that day that I would ignore anymore topics that are controversial, that way when anyone responds to it, the system will not keep pinging me every 45 seconds when one of those tiffs starts.

Yes I know that at any time I can go into my preference section and un-subscribe to the topic.

Hey: have a nice day

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Cricket (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
And that is one of the aggravations of having the ads here, I know that there must be ads, "nothing is free", not even freedom.

ED
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Can you remind me about what you use to access the community, please? Computer, screen resolution, browser, etc. so I can see if there is anything more I can do to solve this?

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
And that is one of the aggravations of having the ads here, I know that there must be ads, "nothing is free", not even freedom.

ED
The issue has actually been corrected for most users. There are still a few experiencing issues. I am looking for solutions for those people.

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Can you remind me about what you use to access the community, please? Computer, screen resolution, browser, etc. so I can see if there is anything more I can do to solve this?
P C 20 inch monitor, resolution 1280X 1024 I. E. 7+.

At the beginning of each topic the ads on the right of the screen seems to creep into the question just a bit and obscures the last letter of each line, causing some guess work in getting the exact word. Which causes some uttered at times.

ED
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
P C 20 inch monitor, resolution 1280X 1024 I. E. 7+.

At the beginning of each topic the ads on the right of the screen seems to creep into the question just a bit and obscures the last letter of each line, causing some guess work in getting the exact word. Which causes some uttered at times.

ED
They cover about 1/3 of the post for me.
17" laptop W7 IE. 1600x900
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

Its always been ok for me as I keep it at zoom 100%

But lately and suddenly there is now two spots to log on. One only just higher then the other..a little weird but non consequential
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

You may need a separate area for members to gripe about contractors. This is a DIY site but more and more posts seem to be from folks who have conflicts with work other people have done on their homes.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

make "location" mandatory when signing up.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
make "location" mandatory when signing up.
Good idea if you desire to limit the number of new members.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
i will suggest that you think several times before you introduce any more "controversial" subjects.

Case in point that death penalty topic, i was present in it's entirety on the day of the dust up between two other members, a couple of us newbies tried to admonish them for their tirade, but it took one of your moderators to shut them down.

That said i believe that we all live and learn, so maybe you can call it a learning experience and keep this forum to what is should be . A d i y room to get and give advice on doing it yourself projects.

I am trying to not insult you as i do not know you that well to pass judgment , and condemn you for a little mistake.

And i do appreciate that you are trying to expand our worlds to what is going on in the world.

But i need not to be a witness to some immature adults throwing insults at each other over a controversial topic such as that.

Ed
ditto

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-08-2014)