DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Site Feedback and Suggestions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f36/)
-   -   Sticky Question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f36/sticky-question-135886/)

Joe Carola 03-04-2012 09:20 AM

Sticky Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beepster

You were looking for a PRICE in the original post. Sift through all the jokers and the people explaining that you can't ask for price here and I think there are a few nuggets.



B

This can all be avoided if the moderators here would simply put the pricing sticky here instead of it just being on the general forum. So far not one moderator has given a reason why they won't.

AtlanticWBConst. 03-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carola (Post 869928)
This can all be avoided if the moderators here would simply put the pricing sticky here instead of it just being on the general forum. So far not one moderator has given a reason why they won't.



The Real Question: Is it possible to go around to every single section and apply stickies to cover "each" of the repetive questions that gets asked?


My 2 Cents:

If you Sticky (1) section, for even 1 of the (many) repetetive questions = Then where does it stop?
Pretty soon the entire first page (and possibly more pages) of each section are filled with stickies.....

Additionally, you can sticky all you want, however, members (especially new ones) rarely navigate the site, let alone will they actually take the time to read a sticky, before they post their question. Essentially, they want their answer = "period" (as most home owners do).

Even after reading a sticky, people often will acknowledge it, but will also go ahead and ask their planned question anyway - and insist that someone can "still help" them get a "ballpark" cost together....

oh'mike 03-04-2012 09:56 AM

Stickys are a waste of space for 'site instructions' so few people read them and ,like you said,there could be dozens---page would be crowded with crap---

Bendy 04-15-2012 03:40 AM

Hello!

I disagree with you guys and agree with the original poster. I've been a member on other forums that had useful, well-organized stickies and it seemed to work out well. You'll still get the occasional guy who thinks that they are the first person ever asking their question, but you just link 'em to the sticky and be done with it.

You wouldn't need a sticky for each question, have one thread for all the commonly asked questions for each section. "Commonly Asked Electrical Questions" for example. And in that ONE thread, have the 10 or 15 most commonly asked questions with links to a couple of the more helpful threads regarding each question. Same for painting and plumbling, ect. in each of their respective sub forums. I would even help organize or design it if I knew anything about anything, but I don't! :laughing: Only a thought!

oh'mike 04-15-2012 05:37 AM

Our 'How to' section is aimed at commonly asked questions---

Bendy 04-15-2012 01:26 PM

I'm aware of that, and some are helpful. I just don't see too many addressing the commonly asked questions like it was designed for. Don't know about you guys, but I don't see too many people making threads about mousetraps, magnets, or pleasing their cement man.

It seems like the How-To section is mostly for entire projects, start to finish. People aren't asking "How Do I Remodel My House" but instead "What's The Best Paint" or "Why Is My Lawn Dying". Things a How-To guide can't necessarily or don't address.

Simply saying, the information is clearly already here to go from a novice to a DIY pro using just this site. How you efficiently and effectively organize old information so new people can find it goes a long way.

AtlanticWBConst. 04-15-2012 02:47 PM

Its possible to over-catergorize a forum, and post so many stickies, that new members, novice internet users, and those wanting to post a simple question and get a simple answer = will come on a site, and give up because its all too complicated (Too departmentalized and confusing).

People in general, prefer most things in their lives, in a simplified, easy-to-navigate format.

Example: "assembly instructions" = The large majority of people, do not read them. The same human nature has to be taken into consideration - when organizing a helpful website for project novices.

Keep things reasonably simple, easy to navigate, and as uncomplicated as possible.

DangerMouse 04-15-2012 03:06 PM

http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/
Look there. ^

I already tried this, you can see how far it went and how well it was received.

DM

Bendy 04-15-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 899560)
Its possible to over-catergorize a forum, and post so many stickies, that new members, novice internet users, and those wanting to post a simple question and get a simple answer = will come on a site, and give up because its all too complicated (Too departmentalized and confusing).

True, it is possible. But that's why I said it can all be done in ONE sticky in each forum. I've seen people post a question, then get turned off of the forum cause all anyone said is "Search, dude." Nothing would prevent anyone from posting a question if they still want to and it wouldn't make anything more complicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 899560)
Example: "assembly instructions" = The large majority of people, do not read them. The same human nature has to be taken into consideration - when organizing a helpful website for project novices.

This may be true, but you are forgetting the fact that we are on a forum that is designed to help people. People went out of their way to find this place cause they need help. Assembly instructions are exactly what a lot of these people, myself included, are looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 899560)
Keep things reasonably simple, easy to navigate, and as uncomplicated as possible.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! :001_tongue:

And absolutely no offense meant in any way to you, DangerMouse. But that's not exactly a great sticky to start off the idea. You can't just say "This thread is for FAQs, go." and leave everyone hanging. To have a decent FAQ thread in my opinion, the author needs to do all the work. He has to put all the relevant information in his original post, with links to threads, pictures, ect. and then lock it. Or leave it open to replies then edit the original post so everything is clean, organized, and in one spot. If I knew a damn about drywall I would try to show you guys. Maybe one day I'll get enough knowledge in one of these areas to attempt one and show a mod to see what they think.

Clearly, I'm pretty much alone on this, so I'll let it go. Thanks for reading it and at least the idea is out there so maybe someone more knowledgeable and ambitious than I will try to tackle it one day. I'm a librarian and economist by trade, so organizing and cataloging data is kinda my thing, you'll have to forgive me. :)

AtlanticWBConst. 04-15-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendy (Post 899671)
.... I'm a librarian and economist by trade, so organizing and cataloging data is kinda my thing..... :)

:laughing: Kind of funny, that was exactly what I had figured & was thinking (by the sound of your post, I could tell that you, by nature, like things exceptionally orderly, and as full of facts and information as possible).
I am not belittling that, as I am also that way by nature. It is what helps me to function & operate as a GC, and run an average of 6 projects at at time.

Unfortunately, the honest truth is that this way of thinking, is not representative of the majority of the users on this site.

Regardless, thanks for your input.

kwikfishron 04-15-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendy (Post 899528)
Simply saying, the information is clearly already here to go from a novice to a DIY pro using just this site. How you efficiently and effectively organize old information so new people can find it goes a long way.

True Story... The Search capabilities of this Site needs some work to bring up to the next level. :thumbsup:

Bendy 04-15-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 899684)
:laughing: Kind of funny, that was exactly what I had figured & was thinking (by the sound of your post, I could tell that you, by nature, like things exceptionally orderly, and as full of facts and information as possible).
I am not belittling that, as I am also that way by nature. It is what helps me to function & operate as a GC, and run an average of 6 projects at at time.

Unfortunately, the honest truth is that this way of thinking, is not representative of the majority of the users on this site.

Regardless, thanks for your input.

lol, No problem.

What can I say, there's nothing like the accessibility of systematically organized data! :001_tongue:

AtlanticWBConst. 04-22-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carola (Post 869928)
This can all be avoided if the moderators here would simply put the pricing sticky here instead of it just being on the general forum...


Here it is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/how-m...s-here-141109/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved