DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Site Help and Suggestions (
-   -   Slow leak under kitchen sink (

cdruet 09-06-2010 10:18 AM

Slow leak under kitchen sink
We had a new sink and taps put in our kitchen a few months ago but there is a slow leak somewhere. There is definitely a leak of aome sort at the spray nozzle because it is always wet and water drips off the plastic tube even when we do not use the nozzle - actually I use it very seldom. Also, there was a very bad leak in the beginning around the tap itself - it is a one lever ball tap but I tightened the bottom of that and it seems better. For a while the water was just poouring out of this and we thought it was the whole problem. The contractor cannot be reached (surprise, surprise) and we dont want everything ruined. I can't afford another plumber if I can get away without. Please help!! Thank you

byrnebox 09-06-2010 11:37 AM

Do all the fittings have Teflon tape on them?

cdruet 09-06-2010 11:43 AM

slow leak
I don't see ANY tape at all - should it be visible?

cdruet 09-06-2010 11:44 AM

As you can see I know nothing about plumbing!

byrnebox 09-06-2010 11:49 AM

LOL it's ok that is what this fourm is for right?

The tape might be visible, and you should probably see a little bit of white hanging out or inside the fittings themselves.

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Go to the local hardware store, any one will work and pick up some teflon tape. It should be a little roll. Then turn the water off and take the fittings off 1 at a time and put the tape on them. You can find out some more details about applying the tape here Then turn the water back on and see if you still see leaks.

Sorry you have to deal with this it is bull **** when a contractor does not do there job.

cdruet 09-06-2010 12:47 PM

Thank you so much. Where the sprayer goes onto the hose, do I take the nozzle off and put tape there too? This is definitely the source of part of the leak. And if I do have to take it off, does it turn or what? I appreciate your help so much:eek: :eek:

byrnebox 09-06-2010 07:28 PM

It really depends do you know a model number of the fixture, this could also be a pressure fitting. If you do not know a model number. Can you take a picture of the fitting and post it?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1