Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 8
Share |
Arrow

Respect For Others

Respect For Others-outrage.jpg

In this community members are expected to treat each other with respect at all times.

There will always be disagreements and fusses between members. It is simply human nature. We truly encourage members to discuss and openly share their thoughts on a topic. It is how we all learn and life would be pretty boring if we all felt the same way.

That being said, this is not grade school. We don’t gang up in little groups to take sides or encourage others to do the same.

If you were at a local get together and got into a disagreement with someone, I am guessing you would take it outside instead of ruining the party for everyone. I expect the same here.

If you are not able to discuss a topic respectfully then you need to remove yourself from the topic. If you are unable to discuss a topic with a specific member then you need to choose to ignore that member or take the discussion off the boards. If you are unable to do either of these things, I will help you to do so.

I wrote this for another forum a while back. Today I want to share it with you.

The Other Side Of The Monitor

Do you ever stop to think who is on the other side of the monitor? Do you always remember that it is a breathing human being? When you post in a community, do you consider how your words might be taken by others? Do you care? Even when someone post a question that we consider completely stupid or rude, does our own response add to the problem? Or, do we go out of our way to help turn a negative into a positive?

Does being right but humiliating others make us more right? Do we imagine that people are watching and thinking how smart we are?

Do we stop for even one second to think how we made that person on the other side of the monitor feel?

I have heard people say that if someone post something stupid or rude, they deserve whatever they get as a response. Seriously? Have we considered that we have no clue what is going on in their lives? Perhaps they are completely alone in life and they’re just looking for some attention. Maybe our response can show them a better way through our own example.

Have we considered that they may be extremely depressed and are acting out? Could our response make a difference, not just for the individual, but for the community as a whole? We don’t know what is going on in their lives, but as in any community, we know that right now, in this moment, we are all dealing with our own issues.

Right now, someone is trying to deal with a loss of a loved one. Someone else may be dealing with extensive financial difficulties or has been burned so many times that they choose to hurt others before someone can hurt them. They may even be considering taking their own life. We simply don’t know.

One thing we know for sure though, on the other side of that monitor is a human being.

Am I asking that we be “nice” to those who we honestly feel don’t deserve it?

I am simply suggesting that maybe we consider if our own response helps or hurts the community as a whole. Perhaps we can make a difference in someone’s life today, just by giving a dang.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Join DIY on Facebook today!
facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-16-2014), BigJim (03-16-2014), gregzoll (03-17-2014), Jmayspaint (03-16-2014), oh'mike (03-16-2014), rossfingal (03-17-2014), TheEplumber (03-16-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Respect For Others

I am bumping this thread to make sure everyone has had a chance to read it because disrespect for others will NOT be acceptable in this community.

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
bbo (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
bbo

Rewards Points: 0

Respect For Others

I tend to get out of threads when I see that happening or on the verge. If something happened in a thread after a last post by me, I'd be ok if I was pm'd that something I wrote offended someone.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Administrator

Respect For Others

Some of the threads I have seen tonight indicate that some members either have not seen this thread or that they don't care. Please let me know which way it is because respect isn't going to be an option in this community. It is a requirement to participate.

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (03-18-2014), TheEplumber (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Respect For Others

You might want to PM whomever that you are directing this at, just to make sure that they have seen it.

just a suggestion on people management, most people appreciate a one on one conversation on these things not a scattergun effect where everybody knows about the upbraiding.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Administrator

Respect For Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
You might want to PM whomever that you are directing this at, just to make sure that they have seen it.

just a suggestion on people management, most people appreciate a one on one conversation on these things not a scattergun effect where everybody knows about the upbraiding.

ED
It was directed to multiple people with multiple threads. I also contact individuals privately as needed.

I simply needed to make it very clear to everyone what is and isn't okay in this community going forward.

Y'all are going to be the friendliest dang DIY community on the net!

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Old 03-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Respect For Others

As for myself I became a member because this forum appeared to be a place to share ways to D I Y , not as some kind of a political or other touchy subject discussion group.

That said I have decided that any topic brought up that is not of the D I Y type will be ignored and not read by myself, And if those that I have mistakenly offered an opinion in chime me that there has been another posting to it, it will be ignored in the future.
That will solve my problem with those types of ridiculous topics.

Of course I still offer a joke or two, and look forward to seeing others joke postings.

So happy D I Y ing all.

ED

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote