Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Share |

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Is there a way to rescind a "Thanks!" in the event that you accidentally thank another user for a comment, suggestions, etc.? If not, maybe this feature could be implemented at some point in the future.

Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

when I just thanked you, there is a place to click that reads "remove the thanks" so I would guess that would be the method of removing your thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Handy Vinny For This Useful Post:
Remove Your Thanks

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Handy Vinny (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Thank you, nap. I am not sure how I managed to overlook this.

Let me just say that this is a very good feature because there have been a few times on the DIY Chatroom when I've unwittingly thanked users while actually trying to report their posts to the Administrator. As is the case with all message boards and chatrooms, one will stumble across the occasional bit of ill-advice, or someone whose expounding very strange ideas or just generally advocating unprincipled behavior. I'm glad that there is a way for us to distance ourselves from these ideas if we should somehow happen to accidentally celebrate them.

Thank you.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 12-22-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
Let me just say that this is a very good feature because there have been a few times on the DIY Chatroom when I've unwittingly thanked users while actually trying to report their posts to the Administrator.
Narc.
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (02-16-2011)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Narc.
I'm OK with being ridiculed because I know in my heart that the posts I have reported to the Administrator have been ones that either 1) endorse very bizarre DIY advice, or 2) are vulgar in some way--no matter how subtle or well-disguised.

Call me names if you wish.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 12-22-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Quote:
Narc.
that was uncalled for. We are allowed to report posts if we feel there is justification. I report many spam posts. I occasionally report a post I believe should just not be on the forum. The poster is posting some dangerous suggestions that if followed could result in serious injury or, in a few occasions, even death. The moderators are the folks that make the decision as to the post is pulled or not.

I see nothing wrong with the reasons vinny said he reports posts. That is what the function is there for.

This self policing does help the mods maintain proper decorum on the site. They can't be everywhere all the time.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-24-2010), Handy Vinny (12-22-2010)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
the Musigician

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

and there's one I WON'T remove.....

Without our 'narcs', this site would be in the garbage with @ZZh0lez and spammers.....
So report the crap as you see it guys, let's keep this forum a FRIENDLY one!
And we CAN'T read every post in every thread........ contrary to popular opinion.

DM
Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
DIY Hack

Rescinding a "Thanks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
Let me just say that this is a very good feature because there have been a few times on the DIY Chatroom when I've unwittingly thanked users while actually trying to report their posts to the Administrator.

I personally think you anyone who has made this mistake more than once should probably be banned from reporting ANY posts for a while. If you misread the big THANKS button, and somehow thought it was used to report a post, there is a probably a very good chance you misread the post in the first place, and are maybe a little too trigger happy

Quote:
Narc.

I assume this was a joke ( because it made me laugh, and I report spam and name calling posts that I feel cross the line everytime I read them). I enjoy some good natured bolt breaking as much as anyone ( probably more) but it gets carried away and downright ugly sometimes. I don't feel bad reporting, I figure it's up to the Mods to make the final call, which is why they make the big bucks

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (02-16-2011)