Reduce Spam? - Site Feedback and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

reduce spam?

Has it been considered to moderate new members before they can post? can it be required to have them pst a thread which must be approved first?

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

reduce spam?

That would stop spam---but make this site to 'Gestapo ' for my taste-----I would not like a site that needed every post 'inspected for content' before posting-----

Nathan will stop this spam storm-----and this site will continue to be open and free for the good people who are members.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
bbo

reduce spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
That would stop spam---but make this site to 'Gestapo ' for my taste-----I would not like a site that needed every post 'inspected for content' before posting-----

Nathan will stop this spam storm-----and this site will continue to be open and free for the good people who are members.
oh I'm not talking about stopping all posts and having them all approved. I was just thinking of different methods for approving new members to be allowed to post.

I didn't intend for my post to read as all posts have to be approved. I also feel defensive having my thoughts being compared to a group so closely associated with the holocaust.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

reduce spam?

I mentioned a similar plan already, but only with the suggestion of allowing new members to post, but they do not show up until a moderator approves them. (but only the first one or two, then the new member is fine to continue. This however would require a LOT of extra work for the mods, and new members would not get the fast responses we are so good at. It's quite the dilemma, as you can tell.... I also suggested CAPTCHA to keep out the spambots, but I never got a reply on that.

DM
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

reduce spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I mentioned a similar plan already, but only with the suggestion of allowing new members to post, but they do not show up until a moderator approves them. (but only the first one or two, then the new member is fine to continue. This however would require a LOT of extra work for the mods, and new members would not get the fast responses we are so good at. It's quite the dilemma, as you can tell.... I also suggested CAPTCHA to keep out the spambots, but I never got a reply on that.

DM

wonder why not?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
the Musigician

reduce spam?

..dunno.... perhaps it's a pay service?
I always thought it'd be part and parcel to the vBulletin software?

DM
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

reduce spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
Has it been considered to moderate new members before they can post? can it be required to have them pst a thread which must be approved first?
I am gald you asked this question and I was directed by DM to reply in here so Thanks DM I own ya a drink or something along the way.

Allright let start this part.,

Of couse I am Moderator on one of the sister forum and we did try that methold and it did not work very well with some new members due some will get ticked off for wating for long approveal to the reply of the thread we did try to turn it down to couple., Well it work ok but it was pretty annony for all of us ( 6 moderators in that sister fourm ) so we reverted back to normal mode and we still manged to swat the spam pretty good.

They ( spam ) typically will show up very early hours from 0300 to about 0800 that when they queit down a bit but rest of the day it will show up but not very widespread and we do ask the members in the fourm if they catch a spam they hit the report button and we go from there. It the same way over here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM
CAPTCHA ?? IIRC they are not free will end up pay the fee for them but Nathan is the one he call the final shot to keep the fourm running so it will be up to him decided what work the best.

DM., I know you mention that part as I put a quoteation on your part and we did try that as well., let me tell ya it kinda pain in arse but we do manged to catch a bit of them.

So therefore the trafficwise in our Fourm which I moderated them we don't have super large traffic of spam show up due we have good corpation between the members and moderators.

Thanks for understanding on this one.

Of couse I am moderator in couple other fourms as well so you may find me in other fourm but more often at Electrician Talk ( this forum is used by professals only )

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

reduce spam?

I offered to help in the other thread regarding reporting posts. I run a vb forum the same size as this one and have hardened it very well against spammers but also user friendly with no posting limitations on new users. I also helped another forum do the same recently.

It's an open offer, just want to help out.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

reduce spam?

I know this is a stretch and could have issues....but what if the report button automatically locked the thread until it was reviewed by a mod....and then the thread can be released or the spammer banned.

And for people that are a bit too quick to report threads that are not spam....they could get a 'timeout'

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #10

reduce spam?

Or... I know this is a stretch.... We could all just not buy uggs from a forum post and report and ignore them. <grin>. Just teasing you.
Some times a problem needs a social solution rather than a technological one.

Advertisement

Last edited by Evstarr; 11-20-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote