Ranking Responses - Site Feedback and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

ranking responses

Is it possible to add a star ranking system to the responses of a post? It would be nice to see which response everyone thinks is the best.

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

ranking responses

Yes there is. Look above the first post on a page. Just above that, there's a header with 4 drop down menus; Thread Tools, Search This Thread, Rate Thread, Display Modes. Click on the Rate Thread box......there you go!

EDIT: My bad. I see you're looking for a rating to an individual reply, right? Can't answer that question.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

ranking responses

Yes, he's looking for "individual" reply rankings. There isn't one for that.

Actually, I don't think that would be too good of an idea. Ranking individual replies can create a spirit of competiveness, or elitism.
Within any group of people, there are insecure individuals that would start to "use & manipulate", such a ranking in order to get themselves "ranked above" others, or, trying to give overly-complicated answers, just to be in the "highest ranking" range (personal ego-boost).

Example: There are very informative and helpful answers that alot of the members give on the site. Then there are others that will answer a basic question with a long, long-winded dissertation (full of internet-found facts, overly-detailed-information, numbers, equations, etc) that "barely" touch on the answering the actual poster's question. IMHO: It's attempting to be a "Big fish" in a small pond. Having individual rankings would take their thesis-like responses, into .... the egocentric stratosphere.

That defeats the purpose of this site; Which is, to help members to find comprehensive, understandable answers to their DIY questions.

I would suggest that if you enjoy a member's answer, or, find it extremely helpful, let them know that on the thread, or in a PM.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-13-2008 at 11:50 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote