Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Posting Quotes??

Posting Quotes:

I know when I answer a post and click on Quote the complete quote is posted in my answer.

What steps do I take when I want to quote only specific sentences from a previous message?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder

Jerry8C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Posting Quotes??

once you get the quote in your reply, go in and hold left click and highlight the part youwant to delete and the hit delete.

or, you can cop and paste the part you want to quote and the highlight that and click on the little icon above the text box here that looks like a little quote balloon (only square)

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Posting Quotes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry8C View Post
Posting Quotes:

I know when I answer a post and click on Quote the complete quote is posted in my answer.

What steps do I take when I want to quote only specific sentences from a previous message?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder

When you click on quote, this might be what you will then see, when you are brought to the Reply window option:

[XXXXXXX] Hi, my name is Jerry, I am new to the site and I have question about concrete and masonry. Specifically, I am experiencing moisture getting into my chimney, and would like to know the best way to go about fixing the issue. Many thanks, in advance.[XXXXX]

The mst important point is that you want to leave the symbol commands in the two [XXXX]. One in the front and one in the rear of the comment. Then you just go in and delete what you don't want and leave what you want, again, while leaving the [XXXX]'s where they are.

So, in my example quote, let's say that you want to get rid of the introduction sentence and leave the poster's question. Then highlight the introduction sentence only and delete it. Example:

[XXXXXXX] Hi, my name is Jerry, I am new to the site and I have question about concrete and masonry. Specifically, I am experiencing moisture getting into my chimney, and would like to know the best way to go about fixing the issue. Many thanks, in advance.[XXXXX]

You would be left with this:

[XXXXXXX] Specifically, I am experiencing moisture getting into my chimney, and would like to know the best way to go about fixing the issue. Many thanks, in advance.[XXXXX]
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #4

Posting Quotes??

Quote:
or, you can cop and paste the part you want to quote and the highlight that and click on the little icon above the text box here that looks like a little quote balloon (only square)
[/quote]
[/quote]

nap -

I'm going to try using the above and see if it works and then I'm going to try the suggestion in the other posts.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #5

Posting Quotes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
So, in my example quote, let's say that you want to get rid of the introduction sentence and leave the poster's question. Then highlight the introduction sentence only and delete it. Example:
Thanks Atlantic for your detailed response. I am going to try your method to see if it works also. Assuming it does, I have another question. Your suggestion says to keep your quote between the [xxxxxx) notations. Let's say I want to quote the first sentence and type my own response and then quote a third sentence and type my response. How do I combine the quotes with my responses and have them show up as quotes and responses?

Now, I think I can do it by the method mention in the other post (using the icon), but how do you do it if you don't use the icon?

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry8C; 02-04-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added new information
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Posting Quotes??

Jerry,

It's simple: You hit the quote button. Then when you get there, you simply copy and paste the entire quote. Then disect it, by separating each question. Copy and paste the beginning [XXXX] and the ending [/XXXXX] in the front and end of each question. That makes it into a quote.

The Key point of this is the beginning [XXXXX] and the end [/XXXX]. Anything you place in the middle of those two command symbols, will become a quote.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Posting Quotes??

this is not rocket science folks.

you can quote the entire thread, delete the [quote] and [quote/] things and it is no longer a quote. Then highlight just the part you want to be a quote. Then type your response after the close quote [quote/].

you can do this as many times as you want if you want, you can do a quote in quote in a quote in a quote

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
this is a quote
in a quote
in a quote
in a quote
or you can simply copy and paste the part you want to quote, highlight it and cliocj on the quote icon above the text box. The [quote][quote/] things will show up at the beginning and at the end of the section you highlighted and then just type your response after the close quote[quote/]
Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Posting Quotes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Jerry,

It's simple: You hit the quote button. Then when you get there, you simply copy and paste the entire quote. Then disect it, by separating each question. Copy and paste the beginning [XXXX] and the ending [/XXXXX] in the front and end of each question. That makes it into a quote.

The Key point of this is the beginning [XXXXX] and the end [/XXXX]. Anything you place in the middle of those two command symbols, will become a quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry8C View Post
Thanks Atlantic for your detailed response. I am going to try your method to see if it works also. Assuming it does, I have another question. Your suggestion says to keep your quote between the [xxxxxx) notations. Let's say I want to quote the first sentence and type my own response and then quote a third sentence and type my response. How do I combine the quotes with my responses and have them show up as quotes and responses?

Now, I think I can do it by the method mention in the other post (using the icon), but how do you do it if you don't use the icon?

Thanks,
Jerry

[/quote]

nap -

Quote:
I'm going to try using the above and see if it works and then I'm going to try the suggestion in the other posts.

Thanks,
Jerry
or for fun, you can click on the "multi quote" icon next to where you see the quote tag (bottom right of text boxes) and then click on "post reply" and you get what you see above
Old 02-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Posting Quotes??

Now if you want to add a little COLOR or a little fun

or if you are just ing around. There are a lot of things you can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Posting Quotes??-goat.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #10

Posting Quotes??

A great big thanks to all of you. It was much appreciated. Perhaps others, who might want to know, but were afraid to ask, can also benefit.

Jerry