Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

No safety glasses?

On your site, you have a photo of a woman using an air nailer without safety glasses. Although the photo may be posed, this isn't the image you want to portray. Safety first, pictures later! Please lead by example. Thanks.

soundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #2

No safety glasses?

We can't control ads that appear or pictures that may be posted on the site
In addition, without a link to the picture there really isn't anything we can do

Safety glasses should be worn at all times when doing demolition/construction

Thank you

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

No safety glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
We can't control ads that appear or pictures that may be posted on the site
In addition, without a link to the picture there really isn't anything we can do

Safety glasses should be worn at all times when doing demolition/construction

Thank you
wrong. They can control what is put on the site, even by outside advertisers. In fact, it is their legal duty to do just that. If we were to assume you to be correct here, Dave, that would mean I could post illegal **** within my advertisement and there would be nothing the site could do about it.

Obviously not true and in fact, that tolerance could be seen as complicity in the illegal action.

so, yes, they not only can control but have a duty to control the content on this site.

it would not allow me to write p...o...r...n
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

No safety glasses?

Without a link or picture of the "offense" its impossible to do anything

There are thousands of ads & pictures on this site
Please feel free to try viewing them all & let us know of specific ad or picture that is a problem
Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #5

No safety glasses?

I know the image your talking about. It's a stock photo I used and I missed the fact that she wasn't using any safety glasses. I'll find another photo.

Thanks.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #6

No safety glasses?

OK, new image uploaded... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
wrong. They can control what is put on the site, even by outside advertisers. In fact, it is their legal duty to do just that. If we were to assume you to be correct here, Dave, that would mean I could post illegal **** within my advertisement and there would be nothing the site could do about it.

Obviously not true and in fact, that tolerance could be seen as complicity in the illegal action.

so, yes, they not only can control but have a duty to control the content on this site.

it would not allow me to write p...o...r...n
There are really three things going on here.

1. The content that we physically put on the site. This was a case of that. It was an image I used that appears to guests and so I have total control over that and have switched it out.

2. User Generated Content. I am in no way responsible for the content that other users post on this site and there is a lot of case law to back me up on that. If I was sites like this would not exist since there is no way for me to scan all the content and know it's accurate. That's why we have warnings in place for readers.
That being said we can try to put filters in place to prevent certain words from being used but as you just demonstrated that can be circumvented.
In order to try and control the content we have a set of posting rules in place and rely on users to report problems and while it works some times there are other times it gets past us. So, we give it our best effort but again, we are not responsible for what a user posts... the user is.

3. Advertising. Once again we are not responsible for the claims of an advertiser or what they do... the advertiser is. We use a program called Google Adwords on this site meaning all we do is put in a bit of code from Google and they show ads based on the content of the page and the location of the user. I have no idea what is being advertised here and in any given day there are tens of thousands of ads being displayed. If something is really offensive and we are notified of it we can try and find the URL of the advertiser and block them after the fact but we aren't responsible for what they do.

We try our best but in reality there is a lot outside of our control. Believe me when I say I know what I'm legally responsible for on this site.
Luckly this was a situation where we could control the image and changed it but the claims that we are responsible for advertisers are false.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

No safety glasses?

aha!! so it was your fault

I do understand what you are saying, to an extent. Obviously you are more versed in this matter than I so I will not belabor the point.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #8

No safety glasses?

Well I stand corrected too
I wasn't aware the site had pics up, was it the How To section ?
But if the poster had given a clue as to where it was (or seen) it might have helped
Then at least I could have looked

Glad you knew where it was

Weird that a person signs up just to complain & stays on the site only 5 minutes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

No safety glasses?

I hadn't noticed it was a first timer.

maybe somebody looking for the basis of a lawsuit!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #10

No safety glasses?

Weird that a person signs up just to complain & stays on the site only 5 minutes[/quote]

Prolly a rabble rouser or ambulance chaser scouting out potential income...Sad world we live in

Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety glasses nailer