Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Tileguy

Share |

Nathan and Mods - Consider this!!!

A few years ago at my request Nathan was kind enough to add the ceramic tile section as a sub-forum to the flooring department. I appreciated that move.

I wonder tho... since the tile interest is as great as it is, if maybe the tile section shouldn't be a stand-alone area of its own these days removing it from the flooring department.

I have noticed that a lot of people don't know it's there at all. Just recently tile related questions have appeared in "drywall" and "Building and Construction" and "Kitchen and Bath" and other areas as well. I'm thinking this is because the tile department doesn't stand out, newcomers must look for it in the "flooring" section.

In fact. I'm thinking a section for "Ceramic and Stone Tile Floors and Walls" would be good as well as "Ceramic and Stone Tile Showers." The doggone shower information is really scattered all over the place, it often turns up in "Building and Construction" or whatever but is complicated-enough to deserve a place of its own.

One more thing. Years ago I created the "Liberry" over at the John Bridge Website. (I didn't name it that was John's idea.) It has turned out to be a favorite and a quick reference for specifics. DIY here has the "Blogs" and the "How To" but I don't see how it is categorized in any way. How about arranging that information in some organized manner or somehow keying specific Blogs and How To's to certain topic areas?

Just some ideas...they can't all be good you know?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

One concern I have is the length of the homepage. I've seen some sites with 100 topics listed in a really long homepage and it makes things difficult to find. So, we either need to have one tile topic that covers everything on the homepage or make sub forums under each main topic that apply. I'm not opposed to changing it up some though.

Regarding the second part of your post... we are working on a new blogs system as well as a few other new features. They should be ready in a month or two and I think that will solve the problem your referring to.

Thanks.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (03-31-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Tileguy

How many sub-forums can you have under one homepage topic?

I'm thinking if the word "Tile" appeared on the home page (in some form) that alone would be an improvement and easier for one to navigate to. I'm guessing that having the tile topic buried in flooring as a sub-topic is not the best way.

Heck maybe just change the Flooring to read: Flooring (wood, tile, laminate, vinyl, carpet, etc.) Leave the "tile" sub-forum there.

Then add: Ceramic and Stone Tile Showers to the home page.

Beats me!

When one thinks of tile, tile floors comes to mind immediately I guess and that's fine but the information needed in that area (by a DIY'er) is minimal compared to how things can blossom when it comes to tile showers.

Techniques and products have grown about ten-fold in the tile shower area over the past seven or eight years.

ANYBODY ???
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

Good point Bud. In fact it is not often that I bother to look in flooring, I did not realize that there was a sub-section in there.