Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Advice worth 2 cents!

Share |

Moderators

Any on this site? Who's in charge here?

I cannot believe how many rude people get away with insulting posts!

____pete

Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Moderators

Pete,

Please realize that this is a PUBLIC forum.
That means that it is available to the general public. The general public is made up of all kinds of people. It's the same public that we drive with in traffic, stand with in long lines, or sit behind in a movie theater.
We cannot demand that every single post be polite, courteous, considerate, well-put, and sugar coated. Because, it's the real world, full of real people.

Generally, anyone that has been involved in any kind of forum at any time, is aware that whenever you post anything on a forum, be prepared for the variety of answers you will open that up to. You may not care for some comments, some may be downright rude, and some, may be very helpful. You WILL, have a wide variety of comments. That point requires you to....be prepared. Have thick skin, and not to take things personal.

Speaking to people in an articulate and polite way is difficult for many, face-to-face. On the internet, people, as a whole, make even less of an effort to do so. It's just how things are on public forums in general. It may not be right, it may not be what you want it to be....but,......
it is, what it is.

Some comments on different forums are direct evidence that booze and posting, don't mix.
Some people are just plain cantankerous, whiney, complacent, harsh, vindictive, grouchy, cry-babies, argumentative, or what have you. They usually weed themselves out, or cause enough of a commotion, over time, that they get themselves banned.

People speak (or write) their mind. It doesn't mean you have to listen (or read it). And it also doesn't mean that you have to let it get to you.

The best way to deal with it, is to be determined to be one of the "nice guys", no matter what others do.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-21-2008 at 05:57 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Advice worth 2 cents!

Moderators

Quote:
Please realize that this is a PUBLIC forum.
That means that it is available to the general public. The general public is made up of all kinds of people. It's the same public that we drive with in traffic, stand with in long lines, or sit behind in a movie theater.
We cannot demand that every single post be polite, courteous, considerate, well-put, and sugar coated. Because, it's the real world, full of real people.
That response sounds like it comes from a priest. I've been working as an electrician for over 35 years, I know plenty about the "real world"

Quote:
Generally, anyone that has been involved in any kind of forum at any time, is aware that whenever you post anything on a forum, be prepared for the variety of answers you will open that up to. You may not care for some comments, some may be downright rude, and some, may be very helpful. You WILL, have a wide variety of comments. That point requires you to....be prepared. Have thick skin, and not to take things personal.
Your condescending again, I do use other forums and geeez do you ever sound so enlightened!
Quote:

Speaking to people in an articulate and polite way is difficult for many, face-to-face. On the internet, people, as a whole, make even less of an effort to do so. It's just how things are on public forums in general. It may not be right, it may not be what you want it to be....but,......
it is, what it is.
Well put, I agree. But, why assume it's not what I want it to be?

Quote:
Some comments on different forums are direct evidence that booze and posting, don't mix.
Some people are just plain cantankerous, whiney, complacent, harsh, vindictive, grouchy, cry-babies, argumentative, or what have you. They usually weed themselves out, or cause enough of a commotion, over time, that they get themselves banned.
You say "different forums" what makes this one any different? Then you say "banned"...That's my question, who does the banning on this site?

Quote:
People speak (or write) their mind. It doesn't mean you have to listen (or read it). And it also doesn't mean that you have to let it get to you.
Can you read half the words in a post? True, I just may not come back here anymore for exactly that reason. Yes, it does get to me, and it bothers me to know others are hurt too but, I'm making a small stand and I'd love to help improve the forum if I could.

Quote:
The best way to deal with it, is to be determined to be one of the "nice guys", no matter what others do.

"best way" maybe, but not the only way!

_ pete BTW what's yours? are you a moderator or do you just like preaching virtue to us newbies?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
Any on this site? Who's in charge here?

I cannot believe how many rude people get away with insulting posts!
Quote:
...I've been working as an electrician for over 35 years...[/COLOR]
There is a "Bad Post Button" to be used by members when the see something that may be considered a rule violation
As not all of us Mods read all the threads, we do tend to respond to reported posts
Please do not hesitate to use this button

If you have been hanging out in Electric, I don't mind telling you it's been an issue between certain members in that area
Most areas aren't like that
If it's getting bad again please let us know
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #5

Moderators

Handypete, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about in your answers to Atlantic.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #6

Moderators

I think it might help for moderators to put "moderator" in their signature, or custom user title. I think this might be partly what Pete is asking for.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
General Contractor

Moderators

If you notice, the moderators names are bold instead of normal.

BTW Handypete....we have contractortalk.com and electriciantalk.com for the pros if the DIY site is driving you nuts.

Last edited by joasis; 04-24-2008 at 06:12 PM.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #8

Moderators

Ok. Kinda subtle though, don't you think?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9

Moderators

Bottom line... if you see a post that goes against our Posting Rules then Report It by pressing the button under their name next to the offending post. This will notify the moderators of the problem. Don't assume that we have read the post and are allowing it... usually we have just missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Ok. Kinda subtle though, don't you think?
Here is also a list of moderators here: http://www.diychatroom.com/showgroups.php

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Advice worth 2 cents!

Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Handypete, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about in your answers to Atlantic.
Disrespectful???? or am I just being challenging? If i sound the latter, he has my apologies!

I didn't like his response but I respect him as an articulated adult (he does tend to assume stuff a bit too much though lolol).

The two of our post are also very clear and plainly directed to each other.

_ pete

THANKS NATHAN FOR THE RESPONSE! That's exactly what I wanted to know, and your right, it's in the electrical department! (which kinda frustrates me because I'm a master electrician who likes to help folks do their own wiring and solve problems)

Last edited by HandyPete; 04-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #11

Moderators

Quote:
THANKS NATHAN FOR THE RESPONSE! That's exactly what I wanted to know, and your right, it's in the electrical department! (which kinda frustrates me because I'm a master electrician who likes to help folks do their own wiring and solve problems)
If you like "Pro Talk" you might like www.ElectricianTalk.com.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Advice worth 2 cents!

Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
If you notice, the moderators names are bold instead of normal.

BTW Handypete....we have contractortalk.com and electricaltalk.com for the pros if the DIY site is driving you nuts.

I'm familiar with both of those sites and a few others, thanks! I like reading about residential problems and hearing what people have to say.

"nuts" well, not quite. I do think there are a few rotten apples on this forum that don't think twice before picking on some DIY'r with some comments and assumptions that I find insulting. That's why I posted.

I'm glad I did too! most of the answers had hints and suggestions that I found useful.

_ pete
Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Learning by Doing

Moderators

I read Electric almost every day. Sometimes, it's the snarkiness that keeps me tuning in.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Moderators

There's some "colorful" members posting on there....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #15

Moderators

no doubt......

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote