Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Share |
Default

Moderators


Any on this site? Who's in charge here?

I cannot believe how many rude people get away with insulting posts!


____pete

__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Moderators


Pete,

Please realize that this is a PUBLIC forum.
That means that it is available to the general public. The general public is made up of all kinds of people. It's the same public that we drive with in traffic, stand with in long lines, or sit behind in a movie theater.
We cannot demand that every single post be polite, courteous, considerate, well-put, and sugar coated. Because, it's the real world, full of real people.

Generally, anyone that has been involved in any kind of forum at any time, is aware that whenever you post anything on a forum, be prepared for the variety of answers you will open that up to. You may not care for some comments, some may be downright rude, and some, may be very helpful. You WILL, have a wide variety of comments. That point requires you to....be prepared. Have thick skin, and not to take things personal.

Speaking to people in an articulate and polite way is difficult for many, face-to-face. On the internet, people, as a whole, make even less of an effort to do so. It's just how things are on public forums in general. It may not be right, it may not be what you want it to be....but,......
it is, what it is.

Some comments on different forums are direct evidence that booze and posting, don't mix.
Some people are just plain cantankerous, whiney, complacent, harsh, vindictive, grouchy, cry-babies, argumentative, or what have you. They usually weed themselves out, or cause enough of a commotion, over time, that they get themselves banned.

People speak (or write) their mind. It doesn't mean you have to listen (or read it). And it also doesn't mean that you have to let it get to you.

The best way to deal with it, is to be determined to be one of the "nice guys", no matter what others do.


Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-21-2008 at 05:57 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Default

Moderators


Quote:
Please realize that this is a PUBLIC forum.
That means that it is available to the general public. The general public is made up of all kinds of people. It's the same public that we drive with in traffic, stand with in long lines, or sit behind in a movie theater.
We cannot demand that every single post be polite, courteous, considerate, well-put, and sugar coated. Because, it's the real world, full of real people.
That response sounds like it comes from a priest. I've been working as an electrician for over 35 years, I know plenty about the "real world"

Quote:
Generally, anyone that has been involved in any kind of forum at any time, is aware that whenever you post anything on a forum, be prepared for the variety of answers you will open that up to. You may not care for some comments, some may be downright rude, and some, may be very helpful. You WILL, have a wide variety of comments. That point requires you to....be prepared. Have thick skin, and not to take things personal.
Your condescending again, I do use other forums and geeez do you ever sound so enlightened!
Quote:

Speaking to people in an articulate and polite way is difficult for many, face-to-face. On the internet, people, as a whole, make even less of an effort to do so. It's just how things are on public forums in general. It may not be right, it may not be what you want it to be....but,......
it is, what it is.
Well put, I agree. But, why assume it's not what I want it to be?

Quote:
Some comments on different forums are direct evidence that booze and posting, don't mix.
Some people are just plain cantankerous, whiney, complacent, harsh, vindictive, grouchy, cry-babies, argumentative, or what have you. They usually weed themselves out, or cause enough of a commotion, over time, that they get themselves banned.
You say "different forums" what makes this one any different? Then you say "banned"...That's my question, who does the banning on this site?

Quote:
People speak (or write) their mind. It doesn't mean you have to listen (or read it). And it also doesn't mean that you have to let it get to you.
Can you read half the words in a post? True, I just may not come back here anymore for exactly that reason. Yes, it does get to me, and it bothers me to know others are hurt too but, I'm making a small stand and I'd love to help improve the forum if I could.

Quote:
The best way to deal with it, is to be determined to be one of the "nice guys", no matter what others do.

"best way" maybe, but not the only way!


_ pete BTW what's yours? are you a moderator or do you just like preaching virtue to us newbies?
__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

Moderators


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
Any on this site? Who's in charge here?

I cannot believe how many rude people get away with insulting posts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
...I've been working as an electrician for over 35 years...[/COLOR]
There is a "Bad Post Button" to be used by members when the see something that may be considered a rule violation
As not all of us Mods read all the threads, we do tend to respond to reported posts
Please do not hesitate to use this button

If you have been hanging out in Electric, I don't mind telling you it's been an issue between certain members in that area
Most areas aren't like that
If it's getting bad again please let us know
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Member
 
yummy mummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,725
Default

Moderators


Handypete, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about in your answers to Atlantic.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Default

Moderators


I think it might help for moderators to put "moderator" in their signature, or custom user title. I think this might be partly what Pete is asking for.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
General Contractor
 
joasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Default

Moderators


If you notice, the moderators names are bold instead of normal.

BTW Handypete....we have contractortalk.com and electriciantalk.com for the pros if the DIY site is driving you nuts.
__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563




Last edited by joasis; 04-24-2008 at 06:12 PM.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Default

Moderators


Ok. Kinda subtle though, don't you think?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,267
Default

Moderators


Bottom line... if you see a post that goes against our Posting Rules then Report It by pressing the button under their name next to the offending post. This will notify the moderators of the problem. Don't assume that we have read the post and are allowing it... usually we have just missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Ok. Kinda subtle though, don't you think?
Here is also a list of moderators here: http://www.diychatroom.com/showgroups.php
__________________
Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Default

Moderators


Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Handypete, you are doing exactly what you are complaining about in your answers to Atlantic.
Disrespectful???? or am I just being challenging? If i sound the latter, he has my apologies!

I didn't like his response but I respect him as an articulated adult (he does tend to assume stuff a bit too much though lolol).

The two of our post are also very clear and plainly directed to each other.

_ pete

THANKS NATHAN FOR THE RESPONSE! That's exactly what I wanted to know, and your right, it's in the electrical department! (which kinda frustrates me because I'm a master electrician who likes to help folks do their own wiring and solve problems)
__________________
---pete

Last edited by HandyPete; 04-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,267
Default

Moderators


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
THANKS NATHAN FOR THE RESPONSE! That's exactly what I wanted to know, and your right, it's in the electrical department! (which kinda frustrates me because I'm a master electrician who likes to help folks do their own wiring and solve problems)
If you like "Pro Talk" you might like www.ElectricianTalk.com.

__________________
Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Default

Moderators


Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
If you notice, the moderators names are bold instead of normal.

BTW Handypete....we have contractortalk.com and electricaltalk.com for the pros if the DIY site is driving you nuts.

I'm familiar with both of those sites and a few others, thanks! I like reading about residential problems and hearing what people have to say.

"nuts" well, not quite. I do think there are a few rotten apples on this forum that don't think twice before picking on some DIY'r with some comments and assumptions that I find insulting. That's why I posted.

I'm glad I did too! most of the answers had hints and suggestions that I found useful.

_ pete
__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Default

Moderators


I read Electric almost every day. Sometimes, it's the snarkiness that keeps me tuning in.
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Moderators


There's some "colorful" members posting on there....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
Member
 
Floorwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alaska!
Posts: 1,522
Default

Moderators


no doubt......

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.