Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How do I resize photos to be under 100mb???

My photos are ~150mb... how in the world do I resize them so I can add them to my thread???
TIA

simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

umm....sorta new here, but i think this post is in the wrong area

rwreuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Windows comes with a program called "Paint", you can open that up and then open the photo.
When you do that you can re-size the photo and either save it as is or save to a different name.
I would suggest saving it as a jpg file.

I think you may mean that it is 150 'k' bit as 150 mb is 1000 x bigger.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

There are many pieces of software specifically designed to resize photos, Microsoft Picture Viewer is one, Canon Zoombrowser will do it. If you have JPEG format, most viewers can handle them, if you are using native format, you will need specific software from the camera maker. Adobe Photoshop works with most cameras, but is a bit pricey for the application you have in mind.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Use Imgur or photobucket.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,308

Gimp is one solution, there are a couple of others. The best thing is, if you are using a smartphone, such as a android or iPhone, use the diychatroom app, which will allow picture posting within. It will allow resizing on the fly. If using a digital camera, change the setting for the photo to a smaller resolution, before taking the shot, but do not set so low, that it appears washed out and grainy.

My brother got smart with his forum that he runs, that it is set to automatically resize the pictures when uploaded, so that it does not blow out the margins of the forum, for smaller screens, such as netbooks, which are 1040x600.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help. I tried Paint but couldnt get it to work. I then tried photobucket and viola... I was able to resize!
I dont have a smart phone but now I know how to change the settings on my digital camera... thanks!!
simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simiesue For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,308

simiesue, if you are using Windows, you can download the Windows Live photo tool. Try out gimp, it is a great tool to use. There are some others over at majorgeeks.com.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #9

Unless you're doing some very specialized photography, your pictures shouldn't be anywhere near 150MB! That's a ton of wasted space and computing time. You must have a camera near 20 megapixel, and have it set on uncompressed TIFF format. Unless you need EXTREME resolution photographs in TIFF format, I'd look into your digital camera settings. Even near 20 megapixel, if you use jpeg format, they'd be like 3-4MB each.

EDIT: gregzoll's dead on with gimp. It's a lot like Photoshop, which is my favorite, but gimp is free.
darlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darlingm For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingm View Post
Unless you're doing some very specialized photography, your pictures shouldn't be anywhere near 150MB! That's a ton of wasted space and computing time. You must have a camera near 20 megapixel, and have it set on uncompressed TIFF format. Unless you need EXTREME resolution photographs in TIFF format, I'd look into your digital camera settings. Even near 20 megapixel, if you use jpeg format, they'd be like 3-4MB each.
Agreed, only RAW/TIFF files could possibly be that big.

Sorry, I have to ask....How/why does one come to own what is most likely a pro-level DSLR without knowing how to perform one of the most rudimentary image editing tasks?

EDIT: If this was indeed a typo and should have read 'kb' instead of 'mb', disregard all of the above.

Last edited by Jay 78; 01-02-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to resize photos to post them here.

DM
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

I've used irfanview for years. It small, fast, free and can handle all the basic photo resizing jobs. It can even resize photos in batches. Check it out. The important thing, after reducing the pixel resolution, is to save it as a jpg.

enos is offline   Reply With Quote