How Come? - Site Feedback and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

how come?

how come i see some posts with 'advertising link removed' but others are allowed? what's the difference? also, i keep getting 'database error' messages and pages don't open. my problem or the site's?

DM

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,362

how come?

I'm getting the same 'database error' messages too, off and on.

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,558

how come?

The posts might have some useful info so the mods only removed the link.
Some posts are nothing but pure spam. Those posts are the ones that are getting deleted.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

how come?

Database errors here as well.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
the Musigician

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The posts might have some useful info so the mods only removed the link.
Some posts are nothing but pure spam. Those posts are the ones that are getting deleted.
i have seen SOME useful answers, but what i'm talking about is 'the regulars' with their links, and newbies that just say "what a good idea, go look at my website for more ideas!"

good to know it's not just me on the DB errors....

DM
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
how come i see some posts with 'advertising link removed' but others are allowed? what's the difference?
DM
Site Advertising Rules Link:

http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?f...aq_advertising

I highlighted the points pertaining to your question in Red:

Forum Advertising Rules:
The rules regarding our advertising policies are pretty simple. You are not allowed to advertise on this site unless you pay for a banner ad. If you are interested in purchasing a banner ad please Contact Us.
Participants may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.

Participants may not post any message that directs others to any pages at their own commercial web site, including informational pages.
Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.
Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.
Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled.
Members and/or users may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
Participants may not include their company name as part of their username un
less you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions.

A Key factor to the Site Owner's quidelines of this; Is, that there are many individuals that will join, and start posting a link to their national "internet" site (Often in their "Signature line").
Such a person is NOT a "Local Contractor" (as the site rules require), who is contributing to the site, with their time, experience, and helpful knowledge.
If someone wants to promote their national website (sales/services/goods/etc), they must contact the Site Administrator/Owner, and may be charged a fee for this. It's only fair.

This site is a means of help to DIYers, and is not a site to covertly, or blatantly insert advertisements, advertising-website-links, promote the sale of goods and services, or even one's personal, or business websites.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #7

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
how come i see some posts with 'advertising link removed' but others are allowed? what's the difference? also, i keep getting 'database error' messages and pages don't open. my problem or the site's?

DM
I'm working on the database errors. We have just seen a lot of new traffic in the last few months and the server is having trouble keeping up. Let me know if you see any more of those errors though... thanks!

A lot of times we just miss the advertising links when someone spams us. Do us a favor and report the post and we will remove them.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm working on the database errors. We have just seen a lot of new traffic in the last few months and the server is having trouble keeping up. Let me know if you see any more of those errors though... thanks!

A lot of times we just miss the advertising links when someone spams us. Do us a favor and report the post and we will remove them.

I always report any I see
This is a really nice site, and I will do anything to keep it that way.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #9

how come?

Nathan - I'm sure I missed the instructions somewhere, but what information do you need when someone is reporting spam? I never know if I'm giving too much info or not enough. Just wondering.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

how come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Nathan - I'm sure I missed the instructions somewhere, but what information do you need when someone is reporting spam? I never know if I'm giving too much info or not enough. Just wondering.
Just click the red exclamation button, and a message box will appear, type the word spam, and a mod will get the message.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #11

how come?

Thanks. That makes it easy!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #12

how come?

Yup, press this button and tell us what's wrong with the post. THanks!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 03-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #13

how come?

If I see the same spam in several different posts, do you need just one report to be able to delete them all, or one report for each spam?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #14

how come?

We have an option to click on post that a spammer makes and delete them all at once so if it's from the same poster then that's fine.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #15

how come?

Okay, thanks. Have a good weekend.

Advertisement