Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How about a gallery?

How about a gallery of completed projects? That way members could submit their before and after pics, and we could all get some ideas. I personally would enjoy a gallery a lot.

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,796

How about a gallery?

We call it "Project Showcase".

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

How about a gallery?

That seems to focus more on the whole project. I was thinking of a sort of gallery of completions. You know, what it looks like when all is said and done. There would be far fewer pictures, as the pictures would only be of the finished work. Just to get ideas from. As it is now, you have to sift through everything else, and that's IF they are finished yet.

So I still think a dedicated "Gallery of Completions" would be nice. If moderators are an issue, I would be willing to help out in that area. I am a moderator on two other forums so I do have some experience in that particular area.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

How about a gallery?

Moderators is not an issue.

Forum topic cross over is more of the issue, as I see it.

Of course, it is up to the Admins to decide.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

How about a gallery?

You have an option to create a photo album in your User CP also
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

How about a gallery?

That's true, but not everyone will scroll through all of the various options available to them in the user control panel, or under their profile. In fact, most people won't. And even if they did, you'd basically have to go around just randomly selecting people and click on their name to browse through their pictures. And just sort of hope that they had some completions up there for you to get ideas from. Not a very efficient way of getting ideas from completed projects. Also not idea for those with slower connection speeds.

A dedicated sub forum for completed projects would put it all out there, for all to see, with ease.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

How about a gallery?

So you don't believe that a completed project forum would have people asking them how they did this or that.

Personally. just looking in a forum of completed projects, without any details of how some things were done. is a bit boring.

Project show case seems to serve both purposes very well. It has lots of pics. And even instructions, or detail description of what product/material was used to do the project.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

How about a gallery?

I agree with beenthere. This being a DIY website ... Most here want to see how one got to the end, not just The End!

For many if not most here, the fun part is the doing
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

How about a gallery?

I think it's fine the way it is....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #10

How about a gallery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think it's fine the way it is....
No one is suggesting any type of change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAcresRod View Post
I agree with beenthere. This being a DIY website ... Most here want to see how one got to the end, not just The End!

For many if not most here, the fun part is the doing
Not necessarily, and not all the time. Sometimes people are just looking for ideas, not all the trouble you had with your particular project. For example. Say I want to see some front doors. I just want to see a few front doors. I just want to get some ideas, I don't need to know how long it took Joe Bob to install his front door, or how he decided to go about doing it, or any of the rest of the minor details. Those are for the "Project Showcase" sub-forum. I just want to see the pic of the front door.

So instead of having to sift through a million different pages, and then finally find it and HOPE someone has completed the project and put up good pics of the final outcome, I can just go right to it. Lots of forums have a real gallery, for a reason.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

How about a gallery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
No one is suggesting any type of change...

Adding a forum topic, is a change.

Not necessarily, and not all the time. Sometimes people are just looking for ideas, not all the trouble you had with your particular project. For example. Say I want to see some front doors. I just want to see a few front doors. I just want to get some ideas, I don't need to know how long it took Joe Bob to install his front door, or how he decided to go about doing it, or any of the rest of the minor details. Those are for the "Project Showcase" sub-forum. I just want to see the pic of the front door.

So instead of having to sift through a million different pages, and then finally find it and HOPE someone has completed the project and put up good pics of the final outcome, I can just go right to it. Lots of forums have a real gallery, for a reason.
While lurkers do help any board. We like to have members hang around. A picture hunter isn't hanging around.

You have started several threads here. Our lack of a "Gallery" forum does not seem to have turned you a way from our site. Which is a good thing.

Usually, before an additional forum is made on a board. A reason/benefit to the board also needs to be seen. So what benefit do you believe there will be for the board. Again, for the board, not for just a few lurkers to view and never come back again.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #12

How about a gallery?

I disagree. You cite my staying around, but a simple search of my username will reveal that I have done more than just look for pictures. Indeed as my threads would suggest, I have asked for much more than a simple picture could supply. Your reply would seem to indicate that a person can get all the DIY information they need, simply by looking at a picture. While I can see the picture of a house, that in no way means that I can build one. Or take on any of the various projects within. You'll notice that an encyclopedia is not just pages on pages of pictures, one after another.

So simply having pictures to get ideas from, will not adversely affect your web traffic. The type of user that you're referring to, isn't going to stick around anyway, if all they're looking for is pictures. As for the benefit, I would think that would be clear. Take my Mustang enthusiast forum for example. There is indeed a "project showcase", but there is also a gallery of completions. Where you can show off the end result, not sift through endless pictures of the process and hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel. That forum sees every bit as much traffic as this one, as you might imagine, since its the Ford Mustang.

The gallery is for members to garner their own ideas from, or mix and match. With ease, instead of with difficulty. I would argue the opposite, that more people would see what they could do, and then want to ask questions.

Last edited by Bennylava; 08-22-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

How about a gallery?

If you want to look at that way....then we need a gallery for square houses.....one for round....one for odd....

But, we can't stop there....need a sub cat by color....can't have red houses with blue houses.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

How about a gallery?

Personally, I like the comments and questions in the showcase thread.
I may see something pictured on ddawg's thread that interests me and want to incorporate into my project, but after some of his comments about the logistics of getting it to that point- well, it no longer for me....

Again, Bennylava, it's up to the admins to make these types of changes. If they don't see like you do, it won't happen
Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

How about a gallery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
I disagree. You cite my staying around, but a simple search of my username will reveal that I have done more than just look for pictures.
Which is what I said.

Not having a gallery forum, hasn't turned you a way from our site. So how would having one benefit our site?

Just saying people would ask questions later in our other forums. Doesn't mean or prove that a gallery forum would be the reason they are here.