Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Force update of location for new users?

It would really help if the sign-up process forced users to put in a location.

Just about any kind of advice bears knowing where someone's located. It doesn't have to precise, just the city, state is more than enough.

Could something be done to get this provided more readily during signups?

It's just tedious seeing questions asked that need to know a location and seeing none for that user...

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

I am sure the board users could get the information from the government pretty easily as they are tracking everyone's IP usage already.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
It would really help if the sign-up process forced users to put in a location.

Just about any kind of advice bears knowing where someone's located. It doesn't have to precise, just the city, state is more than enough.

Could something be done to get this provided more readily during signups?

It's just tedious seeing questions asked that need to know a location and seeing none for that user...
I will voice an objection to that, I'm sure others would as well. If you live in Chicago among the millions it doesn't matter, if you live in Bligewater, LA, population 324 busy-bodies it certainly does, not everyone wants their town location included in every post they make on a public forum. If someone wants to insert their location or web site in their signature or profile they certainly can, but forcing people to include private information on a public forum simply is not right, this is especially true for women.

If it becomes a requirement, then the mods are free to close my account, delete my posts and I'm out of here the day it does.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
creeper (06-22-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,258

I agree it does help to know the location of the member posting and we do encourage it, but It has been discussed by mods, admins and it is not going to be mandatory.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013), TheEplumber (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,290

Simple solution....for those answers that require knowing your 'aprox' location....well tell them...."Tell us what state and we will help you. No state...no answer"....that way it's pretty much up to the OP if he/she wants help or not.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I agree it does help to know the location of the member posting and we do encourage it, but It has been discussed by mods, admins and it is not going to be mandatory.
Privacy and the right to remain anonymous is fine with me---

I would not want to sign up for a site that asks to many questions.

Regular members understand the need for a location---and new members figure out why it helps rather quickly.

But making it mandatory---??? Not needed. There are enough restrictions and snooping in this world---and fewer and fewer choices.

I say let new members choose---when asked politely---most choose to add a location----Mike---
BigJim (06-09-2013), creeper (06-22-2013), kwikfishron (06-09-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-22-2013), RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
I will voice an objection to that, I'm sure others would as well. If you live in Chicago among the millions it doesn't matter, if you live in Bligewater, LA, population 324 busy-bodies it certainly does, not everyone wants their town location included in every post they make on a public forum. If someone wants to insert their location or web site in their signature or profile they certainly can, but forcing people to include private information on a public forum simply is not right, this is especially true for women.

If it becomes a requirement, then the mods are free to close my account, delete my posts and I'm out of here the day it does.
The phrase "don't let the door hit your ... on the way out" comes to mind. Not that it applies here, of course.

But give us a break on the false piety.

Risk to women? What's next, trotting out the risk to children shrill cries?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
The phrase "don't let the door hit your ... on the way out" comes to mind. Not that it applies here, of course.
No, of course not!

Quote:

But give us a break on the false piety.
Ummm, maybe YOU don't need to carry a .38 on your person, after providing information to the police that led to the arrest and jailing of an individual involved with a major crime cartel, and his subsequently "anonymously" stalking, threatening and harassing me via emails, my web site contact form and thru youtube's messaging system, contacting me at work via phone calls while on parole, but I DO!
Maybe YOU have not had someone like that manage to take photos of the outside of YOUR house, somehow obtain your SS# and DOB, post them on a shady hacker's forum and send the URL to you while living 1500 miles away, I have.

There FYI is a very good and valid reason for exactly why I have a permit and license to carry a firearm on me and went through training with a FA instructor.

Quote:
Risk to women? What's next, trotting out the risk to children shrill cries?
Just ask any women who has been stalked on-line, or had someone from Craig's list or other source show up on her doorstep or worse after finding her home address with a little google leg work.
Plenty of women can fill you in on how their crazy obsessive ex-husbands tracked them down to their new home/location.

Maybe you are unaware of one fact- most counties now have very detailed complete information on people's homes on a public county assessor's web page, search able via a variety of ways.

All you need is the name and the state or partial address, a simple search on the county real estate assessor's page will usually find the address and parcel, then once that is displayed you have the ownership, whether they are single or married, names of spouse etc., who the property was purchased from and the mortgage issuer, for how much, the amount of taxes paid, photos of the house, floor plans with rooms designated "bedroom" "livingroom" etc., there is a space on the form for whether or not there is an alarm system, what kind of appliances there are etc.
There is such a thing as too much information.

Last edited by RWolff; 06-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
creeper (06-22-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

Yeah, right. Whatever you need to believe.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Yeah, right. Whatever you need to believe.
I don't need to "believe" when I have proof and had to deal with it for the last 13 years.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Force location listing. Is NOT going to happen.
RWolff (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,014

So I guess where stuck with giving useless info that does not even apply to where the O/P lives.
ANy one here could careless what street they live on, just need a state, or providence.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
So I guess where stuck with giving useless info that does not even apply to where the O/P lives.
ANy one here could careless what street they live on, just need a state, or providence.
Its their option to list it or not. If you feel its useless to give info if they don't say their location. Then don't post in their threads.
TheEplumber (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
When location matters then just ask and maybe explain why it's important. It's simply just a part of a normal conversation.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

You should you have to respond to a person that thinks everything is like his little home town?

When I see a post without a location that could affect an answer or response and I could give 2 different answers, I just neglect it instead of causing more confusion.

Usually, it is not the city that is important, but the location climate-wise for necessary construction/design problems. The state usually is adequate usually for the codes and climate situation, obviously some states have radically different situation and answers.

Non-US posters can often be identified by country if the question posted gives good information and local terms.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote