Embedment Of Paid Advertising In My Posts - Site Feedback and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


I know you guys need to make money but I find the new practice of embedding paid advertising links within the context of my posts risky. You sort of imply I know or endorse your advertisers. I might but play fair. Your advertisers do not get to be included in my posts.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,012
Rewards Points: 2,294
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I know you guys need to make money but I find the new practice of embedding paid advertising links within the context of my posts risky. You sort of imply I know or endorse your advertisers. I might but play fair. Your advertisers do not get to be included in my posts.
I am sure that there a many of us who don't like this. I have switched to Firefox with adblock. It eliminates most of the ads. Put a disclaimer in your signature.

Advertisement

__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,611
Rewards Points: 1,038
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


I haven't seen them, but thanks for the disclaimer.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,814
Rewards Points: 2,526
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
I haven't seen them, but thanks for the disclaimer.
They show up (all over the place) if you're looking at the site and are not logged in.

Log out and take a peak, there quite irritating.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,401
Rewards Points: 2,464
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


Adverts, what adverts? I have not seen any. Of course I use Firefox with adblock on my netbook running Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Learning Things Every Day
 
Jay 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


It is because of advertisements that forums are (indirectly yet essentially) funded and able to be free to the public. I understand that.

What I don't understand is how, as Nathan seemed to imply in another thread recently, that ad-blocking software is detrimental to ad revenue. If some or most of the advertisers pay on a 'pay-per-click' basis, then that does make some sense. Personally though, as a member of quite a few forums for quite a few years, I simply do not click on ads. Ever. I have only recently started using AdBlock Plus, so up until a few months ago, I simply tolerated (ignored) the ads on the various forums I'm a member of.

As for any ad that's not 'pay-per-click', I don't see how an advertiser could know that their ads are being blocked, therefore I don't see the harm.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'non-clickers' like me, and I would argue that we're the ones who choose to run ad-blockers, because we just wouldn't be interested in what the ads are offering, anyway. Again, I just don't see how we could be negatively impacting ad revenue.
__________________
Under Construction
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
It is because of advertisements that forums are (indirectly yet essentially) funded and able to be free to the public. I understand that.

What I don't understand is how, as Nathan seemed to imply in another thread recently, that ad-blocking software is detrimental to ad revenue. If some or most of the advertisers pay on a 'pay-per-click' basis, then that does make some sense. Personally though, as a member of quite a few forums for quite a few years, I simply do not click on ads. Ever. I have only recently started using AdBlock Plus, so up until a few months ago, I simply tolerated (ignored) the ads on the various forums I'm a member of.

As for any ad that's not 'pay-per-click', I don't see how an advertiser could know that their ads are being blocked, therefore I don't see the harm.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'non-clickers' like me, and I would argue that we're the ones who choose to run ad-blockers, because we just wouldn't be interested in what the ads are offering, anyway. Again, I just don't see how we could be negatively impacting ad revenue.
When you block the image, it is not being requested from their server. Their logs show every request. For example, if everyone on this forum used an ad blocker, the advertisers would not see any requests, and it would look like this forum has no members. The amount of requests that they see is directly related to how much they will pay for ad space.

Unlike with television, magazines, billboards, etc. an advertiser on the internet can see exactly how many unique people have seen their advertisement. When you block them, you aren't seeing them and therefore you are not counted. If 1/3 of the forum blocks ads, then the advertiser is only seeing 2/3 of the actual amount of people using the forum, and they pay less money than if all people were seeing the ads.

So YES, you ad blockers are using the site but not "paying your way".
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macro For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (06-12-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Adverts, what adverts? I have not seen any. Of course I use Firefox with adblock on my netbook running Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
I hate the new 12.94 LTS,I wish I had the old install back
__________________
U.S.M.C. "80-84" E.O.D. 1369
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,401
Rewards Points: 2,464
Default

Embedment of Paid Advertising in My Posts


I love it. I have not had any problems with it.

Advertisement

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guidance needed for deck support posts Mike Loyd Building & Construction 4 08-23-2009 08:03 PM
Steel Posts for Screen Porch dobbsj Building & Construction 2 07-15-2009 06:47 PM
Deck Posts replacement with load bearing columns from Pacific Columns, Inc Bruce Wilson Building & Construction 7 05-24-2009 03:55 PM
Q:Temp support to replace beam and posts on deck dougq Building & Construction 10 09-02-2008 05:24 PM
Cracks in pressure treated posts (4x4s, 6x6s) Deck Building & Construction 8 05-15-2008 11:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts